PDA

View Full Version : Using Qmake without Qt ?

griffin2000
19th August 2008, 18:02
Hi there. I've been looking around for a build tool that can generate both Xcode and visual studio projects from a makefile. The only one I've found is qmake (I am correct that qmake does this, aren't I ?)

But we have no requirement for using the Qt framework at all, we would need to generate projects that do not include Qt in any form. Is this doable ? Can you use qmake as a stand alone build tool without using Qt ?

Thanks

jpn
19th August 2008, 18:15
Hi there. I've been looking around for a build tool that can generate both Xcode and visual studio projects from a makefile. The only one I've found is qmake (I am correct that qmake does this, aren't I ?)
Hi. That's not exactly correct. qmake generates makefiles or vs/xcode project files from cross-platform qmake project (.pro) files, not from makefiles.

But we have no requirement for using the Qt framework at all, we would need to generate projects that do not include Qt in any form. Is this doable ? Can you use qmake as a stand alone build tool without using Qt ?
Yes, it's fairly possible. I'm also using qmake for "plain C++ projects". Adding
CONFIG -= qt to the project file makes qmake not to add any include paths or linking rules related to Qt.

griffin2000
19th August 2008, 18:27
Thats great, thanks for the info.

Does anyone know what the commercial pricing for Qt is ? I can see a demo download page, but not a price anywhere.

wysota
19th August 2008, 20:06
The price depends on the licence you want to have. The simplest one (one platform, console edition) is about 1500 EUR, as far as I remember (I might be wrong though). If you are only after qmake, maybe you can use the open source edition? Or maybe you should even use cmake instead of qmake.