PDA

View Full Version : IDE to choose

sepehr
10th September 2008, 08:33
i have been coding with qt for while and i wonder which IDE others qt developer use,a text editor like gedit or sth like eclipse
i'm looking for a IDE with enhanced code completion and project managment,eclipse comesup with both but it's code completion is pretty slow(it takes almost 20 seconds to get me the code completion each time i call it,so i have disabled it!)
which IDE do you take advantage of?

ps:I Use C++ for development

yxmaomao
10th September 2008, 09:07
why not Visual Studio 2005

tone
10th September 2008, 10:34
I have tried QDevelop and edyuk.
QDevelop tends to be a bit unstable, but it behaves well if I don't write exotic code and avoid using CTRL-D on the last line of each file :) I whish it had folds and a better sintax highlight scheme because red comments just hurt my eyes :). Code completion loads fast ( when it loads ) but seems to work only for our project's classes, not for Qt built in classes ( but this might be just some misconfiguration in my PC... )

edyuk has integrated designer and assistant which is great. It also has a more eye friendly syntax highliter and code folds which are a bless =). Code completion is fast and works for both the project's classes and for the Qt's builtin classes. Unfortunately it has one major showstopper for me: when I try to compile it invariably compiles the whole project from scratch, even if I don't touch a file, but this was just in my PC ( a friend of mine used it and didn't stumble on this error ). Edyuk also doesn't preserve line endings, it simply seems to save in CRLF format, even if the file had *NIX line endings. Another thing that I miss is the direct jump from the cpp to the h file, and clicking in a class member in the class browser and jumping directly to the member declaration/implementation instead of going to the top of the file.

If it weren't for the compilation problem, I'd be probably using edyuk now. I'm using Qdevelop which, although limited in some regards, has been serving me well.

cheers,
--to

lyuts
10th September 2008, 10:58
I'm using Vim+cvim+ctags. For me this is the best solution.
Syntax highlight => yes
Folding => yes
Code completion =>yes
Integrated designer and assistant => no. actually i don't need this integration, because it is not vital.

fullmetalcoder
10th September 2008, 16:18
when I try to compile it invariably compiles the whole project from scratch, even if I don't touch a file, but this was just in my PC ( a friend of mine used it and didn't stumble on this error ).
The only thing that may cause such a bug is you clicking on "rebuild all" instead of "compile". I admit a small adjustement of action names may be needed but this really is not a bug.

Edyuk also doesn't preserve line endings, it simply seems to save in CRLF format, even if the file had *NIX line endings.
It saves line endings to local line ending which in most case is the best thing to do. There is already an infrastructure for setting line endings upon saving but no GUI to access it and I can't think of a *good* one right now. Ideas are welcome so that such a feature may appear in next version.

Another thing that I miss is the direct jump from the cpp to the h file,
This is available (check the shortcut settings to see which shortcut is used by default and possibly adjust it). I did not think it deserved a menu action but I may add one just to notify the very existence of it.

and clicking in a class member in the class browser and jumping directly to the member declaration/implementation instead of going to the top of the file.
There are plans to improve this but it requires some deep internal changes so it will not be available soon (unless someone adds a quick'n'dirty hack to locate the proper symbol upon jump).

If it weren't for the compilation problem, I'd be probably using edyuk now. I'm using Qdevelop which, although limited in some regards, has been serving me well.
so I expect you may change your mind after these clarifications. :)

please consider feeding me back directly next time because it would save some time for the message to reach me and result in quicker answer/fixes.

tone
10th September 2008, 17:33
<hijack thread>

The only thing that may cause such a bug is you clicking on "rebuild all" instead of "compile". I admit a small adjustement of action names may be needed but this really is not a bug.
In such a case it wouldn't be a bug. I'm sure I was using the "Compile" button, which isn't the standard name I'm used to, but I realised that was the correct one. As I said, on another computer it worked just fine. Actually, I gave it a try a while ago and it works now =). But I was really using the "compile" action. Just couldn't figure out what the problem was :eek:

It saves line endings to local line ending which in most case is the best thing to do. There is already an infrastructure for setting line endings upon saving but no GUI to access it and I can't think of a *good* one right now. Ideas are welcome so that such a feature may appear in next version.Nice to know. Unfortunately I'm working with a code base that has *NIX line endings and is stored in an SVN reppository. If all of a sudden I change one line in a file and all the line endings are converted it won't be very diff friendly :(. One possibility could be like Scite does, with a menu action, like Edit->line endings->{CR,LF,CRLF}
Instead of using the OS' default line ending It seems more reasonable to use the line ending found in the original file. if the file is being created (blank), then using the OS as the criteria seems the best way.

This is available (check the shortcut settings to see which shortcut is used by default and possibly adjust it). I did not think it deserved a menu action but I may add one just to notify the very existence of it.
That would be *really* nice :) Most people won't even check the shortcut assignment dialog. They learn the sortcut because it's visible next to the menu or toolbar action that it triggers.

please consider feeding me back directly next time because it would save some time for the message to reach me and result in quicker answer/fixes.My bad, your name looks familiar, so I guess I know who I can mess with when something about edyuk arises :)

</hijack thread>
cheers,
--to

sepehr
11th September 2008, 06:37
thanks alot for answers,so usefull

fullmetalcoder
11th September 2008, 14:16
Nice to know. Unfortunately I'm working with a code base that has *NIX line endings and is stored in an SVN reppository. If all of a sudden I change one line in a file and all the line endings are converted it won't be very diff friendly :(. One possibility could be like Scite does, with a menu action, like Edit->line endings->{CR,LF,CRLF}.
Bless SVN : it has a solution : set the svn:eol-style property to native for all your text files (using svn propset) and it will automatically convert things from local to LF when committing and back to local line ending when checking out :D

Instead of using the OS' default line ending It seems more reasonable to use the line ending found in the original file. if the file is being created (blank), then using the OS as the criteria seems the best way.
Agreed. I'll see to it.

That would be *really* nice :) Most people won't even check the shortcut assignment dialog. They learn the sortcut because it's visible next to the menu or toolbar action that it triggers.
I know that but on the other hand having such an action in a menu makes little sense (apart from visibility for the shortcut) as it is longer to reach it than opening the corresponding file from a project.

sadjoker
11th September 2008, 18:31
For some projects i`m using Edyuk, for other - HaiQ. Both are very nice IDEs.