PDA

View Full Version : Cross platform advice

tntcoda
15th October 2008, 16:43
Hi,

Im gonna be starting a project soon, with development being done on Linux, and targetting both Linux and Windows.

I have never really done a cross platform project before, and was wondering if anyone can reccomend me the 'easiest' approach to doing this.

Can I, or should I do everything on linux and cross compile for windows easily? Or should i share the source files to a Windows virtual machine and compile for both OSs seperatly?

Also does it matter which IDE i go for? I quite like QDevelop.

Thanks alot,

Jack

fullmetalcoder
15th October 2008, 17:58
If you are only using Qt and no extra libraries do not bother about cross platform development for now. Some minor build system issues may surface later on upon deployment as some compilers have limitations and others allow non-standardized constructs.

Generally speaking however these will be easy to fix if they appear so you can do the development on a single machine as long as you make sure to build and test your software on all supported platforms before any release.

The only notable exception to the "Qt rocks cross-platform deployment" rule is DLL/shared libraries : do not forget the magic macro for exported classes/functions if you are creating DLLs