PDA

View Full Version : Which path should I use?

Dark_Tower
7th April 2006, 21:10
Hi all, I'm newbie creating Gui applications and I will be very thankfull if you could suggest me about this: I have a QListWidget where I show as icons all the images of a specified directory.I have a QComboBox where the user can write the path of this directory and a button connected to QFileDialog:getExistingDirectory to let choose manually from the file system. One of the functionalities of the app is move the selected items (files) in the list to another directory that can be chosen with another "getExistingDirectory" dialog. And here's my question: Which path do you think that should be more elegant/comfortable for the user to start both dialogs? One option could be start with the
current text of the combobox in the case that the user wants to select a new directory to see its contents, and the last directory selected in the case that the user wants to move the current selection. Another solution could be setting as the current application path the path the user choses in any of both dialogs, and start both dialog with the current path. But I'm a little scared of modify the current application path...
What do you think that should be better? Should I modify the current application path to do it?

Thanks.

Dark_Tower
8th April 2006, 11:32
Any suggestions, plz?:(

L.Marvell
8th April 2006, 12:34
One option could be start with the
current text of the combobox in the case that the user wants to select a new directory to see its contents, and the last directory selected in the case that the user wants to move the current selection.
Quite good.

...setting as the current application path the path the user choses in any of both dialogs, and start both dialog with the current path
What for? Each dialog must be with its own dir. Source with sourcePath and destination with destPath.
Or maybe I don't understand something?

Dark_Tower
8th April 2006, 13:09
The question is if I should use an auxiliar QString to save the destination path (only used to start the dialog) or setting it as the current path? What do you think that should be more "elegant" and better? Please someone suggest me something.