PDA

View Full Version : changes in code not making any difference in output

sh123
22nd November 2008, 09:48
I have downloaded source code of analogwidgets from www.qt-apps.org website.i compiled & run the program.but when i tried to make changes in the source code & compile & run.there was no change in the output.anyone can please help me.

wysota
22nd November 2008, 15:02
Are you sure the application was recompiled?

sh123
3rd December 2008, 08:04
sorry for replying so late.I was on leave till today.now I am back.yes,I am sure the application was recompiled.

wysota
3rd December 2008, 09:29
Could you state exactly what did you do step by step and what compiler output you received?

sh123
3rd December 2008, 09:38
Could you state exactly what did you do step by step and what compiler output you received?
I made changes in the thermometer.cpp file of analogwidgets and compiled i.e.typed make ,but it showed nothing to be done.

wysota
3rd December 2008, 10:02
So you either changed the wrong file or didn't save the changes before running make.

sh123
3rd December 2008, 10:22
I saved the changes before running make & also changed the correct file.can u please view the source code.

Raccoon29
3rd December 2008, 17:45
It sounds very strange...
what S.wysota said is enhough...
if you see "nothing to be done" means that your modifies have no been compiled, something is wrong.
Check out: the right file, the right directory, that you saved changes.

More, try this is out: delete or simply move a project file from the directory to another and compile. If compiler complains the file problem is elsewhere (strange), if not, you are probably compiling in the wrong directory.

sh123
5th January 2009, 07:02
previously when i had this problem it somehow got solved after restarting.but this problem arises after a regular interval of time.This time restarting is also not helping.I am compiling in the right directory.saving changes of right file,right directory.can u please help.

wysota
5th January 2009, 08:53
Are you using Visual Studio? It is known to play such tricks.

sh123
5th January 2009, 09:06
No I am not using visual studio.I am using notepad & textpad

wysota
5th January 2009, 21:30
Maybe you somehow operated on different files? Could you verify that the size/access date of the appropriate files get changed and calling make afterwards doesn't rebuild them?

sh123
10th January 2009, 06:47
I am operating on the correct file.I also verified the modified date is shown the latest.i.e.I modified it today so it is showing todays date.but after make there is no change in the output. make returned the following:
D:\Qt\4.4.3\AnalogWidgets\analogwidgets\code>make
mingw32-make -f Makefile.Release all
mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `D:/Qt/4.4.3/AnalogWidgets/analogwidgets/cod
e'
g++ -c -march=pentium3 -Os -Wall -pipe -mfpmath=sse -Wall -frtti -fexceptions -m
threads -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_SCRIPT_LIB -DQT_SVG_
LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I"..\..\..\incl
ude\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\i
nclude\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\include\QtXml" -I"..\..\..\include\QtXml" -I"..\..\..\
include\QtSvg" -I"..\..\..\include\QtSvg" -I"..\..\..\include\QtScript" -I"..\..
\..\include\QtScript" -I"..\..\..\include" -I"..\analogwidgets" -I"d:\Qt\4.4.3\i
nclude\ActiveQt" -I"tmp\moc\release_shared" -I"." -I"..\..\..\mkspecs\win32-g++"
-o ..\objects\thermometer.o thermometer.cpp
ar -M < object_script.libanalogwidgets.Release
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/Qt/4.4.3/AnalogWidgets/analogwidgets/code
'
mingw32-make -f Makefile.Debug all
mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `D:/Qt/4.4.3/AnalogWidgets/analogwidgets/cod
e'
mingw32-make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/Qt/4.4.3/AnalogWidgets/analogwidgets/code
'

wysota
10th January 2009, 08:44
From what I see thermometer.cpp was recreated, so there definitely is some change in the output. "ar" is used to build static libraries. If you use the library for any projects, you have to rebuild those projects as well.