PDA

View Full Version : Qt Embedded

lixo1
1st March 2009, 17:45
Hi everybody,
I have a little curiosity:
I started Qt under a PC, with Windows and Linux, now I would like to understand more about qt embedded (linux and CE). Questions:
1) If I well understand to create a Qt embedded application I must have to download the package and install on my embedded device?
2) Is there a way to create and simulate my embedded application using a PC? I cannot understand that: I must have to program on a cellular :eek:????
3) Is there a difference between Qt for Applications Development (under Windows CE and Embedded Linux) and Qt Device Creation?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I cannot found anything about that on internet.
Thank you very much for any explanation,
Cheers.

radek.z
2nd March 2009, 09:59
Hi

add1:
no, you dont have to. just install qt embedded on you pc and start qvfb (i guess it works on linux only, i have no experience with windows). The qvfb will start emulator on your PC and you can test you app on it. So you can easily test any application you wrote on it, just use qmake from you qtembedded to compile it. You can then after you compile it start like ./yourapplication -qvfb

( In case you want to use QtExtended you should install SDK for it. You will find it on h
http://qtopia.net/modules/devices/ )

add2
I guess it was answered in add1

add3
sorry, I dont really understand the question

Radek

lixo1
2nd March 2009, 11:46
Hi Radek,

Thank you very much for your explanations!
Sorry for the last question, I will reformulate:
Is there a difference between Qt for application development and Qt for device creation (see the link)? http://www.qtsoftware.com/downloads/opensource
Only a last question:
If I'm programming for Windows CE, I must need to install Qt Embedded on a Windows pc, or I can use Linux?
Another time thank you very much.

radek.z
2nd March 2009, 12:48
Hi,
its no problem at all, just ask whenever whatever.

About QtEmbedded, sorry I didn't mention quite important think in my first reply.
The QtEmbedded is only for Linux. It is used for devices on which embedded linux runs. So, you can not install it on Windows you must use Linux.

There is some difference about Qt for Application Development and Qt for Device Creation but only in the lower level. I mean by this that if you create application that will run on you PC with linux, you will then compile it for PC with Windows, Mac, for Windows CE etc, everywhere where Qt is ported and also for devices with embedded linux. Only when you create some application for device you might face problem with resources (like memory, etc).
So if I understand corecctly, you want to create some Qt Application for Windows CE. then you just download the installation from http://www.qtsoftware.com/downloads/opensource/device/win-ce-cpp, install it on you PC with Windows and create app or if you already have one then compile using qmake from above mentioned installation. The it should run (I have never tried it, I only guess from my experience with QtEmbedded).

There is quite some difference if you decided to use QtExtended which is extension of Qt for mobile devices with Linux. Now there is Nokia N810 with Maemo or old troltechs mobile Greenphone or Neo Freerunner. So if you want to develop for those devices you can use QtExtended and you have easier access for services like gsm, bluetooth, and much more which are included in it.

I hope I explain myself correctly, in any case just ask.

Radek

lixo1
2nd March 2009, 17:24
Absolutly thank you very much!!!
Now all things are clear!
Thanks another time.