PDA

View Full Version : Problem regading Ethernet uning TCP/IP

sudheer168
9th March 2009, 09:00
Hi everybody ,I need a suggestion regarding Ethernet in QT. I need to communicate data from the Gui application which I have developed to an Hardware unit through Ethernet using TCP/IP protocol . I am new to this concept . Is there any libraries like QExtSerialPort to access the ethernet .
please give your valuable suggestion regarding how to initiate and proceed in QT(Windows).
So please help me to solve this peoblem .Thanks for your valuable help in advance.

With Regards,
Sudheer

spirit
9th March 2009, 09:05
did you read about QTcpSocket?

sudheer168
9th March 2009, 09:14
Hi Spirit ,
Thanks for your quick and kind reply.I read about QTcpSocket class .But one thing I have to know is how can I access the Ethernet and communicate on Ethernet.Is it possible to do by using QTcpSocket class.
So please suggest me to clear the confusion.

With Regards,
Sudheer

spirit
9th March 2009, 09:18
I dont understand what do you need: if you need to communicate with remote computer then yes, QTcspSockect will help you, if you need to work with hardware, i.e. with ethernet card then you need to use platform specific functions.

sudheer168
9th March 2009, 09:21
Thanks for your suggestion.

With Regards
Sudheer,

faldzip
9th March 2009, 18:29
... unit through Ethernet using TCP/IP protocol ...

Ethernet and TCP are on different layers in ISO/OSI stack. So if you use Ethernet devices in your network connection, it doesn't matter if it's TCP, UDP etc. - it's all send with Ethernet in lower layer. For example: when I'm opening a web page in my browser, it's also accessing that server through the Ethernet for example in my LAN. So if you want to communicate with your device with TCP/IP and through Ethernet devices, don't worry about Ethernet - just use QTcpSocket.

P.S. That might be helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model#Description_of_OSI_layers