PDA

View Full Version : Qt vs .NET

gt.beta2
9th March 2009, 17:58
Hi
Does it make sense to compare Qt and .NET?

wysota
9th March 2009, 22:17
It depends what you want to compare but they work on similar level, so in general probably yes.

gt.beta2
9th March 2009, 23:04
So ...

If i am looking for multiplatform solution Qt is a better option then .NET.

But if we look at the market, where M$ still leads, and probably will for some more years, companies would prefer to employ programmers with .NET skills rather then QT, right?

Have any idea of what the future will bring us?

And about the LGPL change in version 4.5 ... do the experienced programmers consider it a good or a bad thing?

And the NOKIA vs Qt marriage! Will they live happily ever after?

I am sorry if i sound kind of lost here but when i decided to work in GNU/Linux environment and use QT i found out that i'm alone in my "village":rolleyes:

Just looking for opinions here.

wysota
9th March 2009, 23:47
If i am looking for multiplatform solution Qt is a better option then .NET.
Yes, that's definitely true right now.

But if we look at the market, where M$ still leads, and probably will for some more years, companies would prefer to employ programmers with .NET skills rather then QT, right?

If we think this way then we should all be using .NET only. And if we do, there will be no one to implement applications using alternative solutions, increasing the monopoly of Micro$oft.

What we have now is the increasing convergence between sectors like computer science and telecommunications or desktop and mobile platforms. Qt is here way ahead of .NET because of the aforementioned portability. Another big advantage of Qt is its short production cycle - we have two minor releases a year which means loads of new features each year. This is not the case with .NET. On the other hand of course currently good knowledge of .NET will probably let you find a job easier although you will probably earn less than as a Qt programmer because there are more .NET developers available on the market, so more competition and thus lower wages.

Have any idea of what the future will bring us?
I don't think anyone can answer this question positively.

And about the LGPL change in version 4.5 ... do the experienced programmers consider it a good or a bad thing?
I haven't heard a strong negative opinion about it and I've heard many positive opinions even from large companies that earn money with writing software such as ICS. In general community around Qt should increase after that change as the last obstacle in using Qt for commercial software is removed. Let's face it - now there is no advantage in using frameworks such as wxWidgets or GTK (ignoring the fact about a different level of abstraction between Qt and GTK).

And the NOKIA vs Qt marriage! Will they live happily ever after?
Well... only time will tell. One thing we can say for sure is that Nokia overtaking Trolltech has made the situation much more dynamic - just see how many new decisions (regardless of each them being right or wrong) have been made during those last few months.

I am sorry if i sound kind of lost here but when i decided to work in GNU/Linux environment and use QT i found out that i'm alone in my "village":rolleyes:
Someone has to clear the path for others. Why not you? :)

gt.beta2
10th March 2009, 16:44
Thanks for the comments.
You have a clear way of putting things making sense :)

stefan
11th March 2009, 13:19
I'm currently developing an "technical" application in .NET, and in short: .NET is OK idea, but.. I'll try to avoid it in the future.

Positive things:
- multilingual (Managed c++, C#, VB.NET)
- totally integrated in Visual Studio
- documentation
- bunch of controls (free and non-free)

Negative:
- managed c++
- deployment
- events (i prefer signal-slot functionality)
- cross platform NOT

It has nice things like it's own types (Double instead of double, Int32 instead of int, etc..), logically named and categorized classes..
Biggest negative thing is that you are doomed to managed c++ if you use .NET Framework.

My opinion is that Qt has a brighter future.

Currently, use Qt 4.5 and VS 2008 with Qt Visual Studio integration. And in near future maybe Qt Creator will be able to substitute VS. We all hope :)

wysota
11th March 2009, 13:36
- multilingual (Managed c++, C#, VB.NET)
This is not a positive aspect. This is a standard in today's world, or at least it should be.

- events (i prefer signal-slot functionality)
Qt uses events as well. In fact signal&slot mechanism heavily relies on events.

It has nice things like it's own types (Double instead of double, Int32 instead of int, etc..),
Aren't they "typedefs" to real types?

And in near future maybe Qt Creator will be able to substitute VS. We all hope :)

Qt Creator is not meant to substitute Visual Studio so it's very unlikely to happen. Qt Creator is really just a very advanced text editor. Of course its future depends solely on what plugins become available for it, but the initial intention seemed to be clear.

stefan
11th March 2009, 15:33
Aren't they "typedefs" to real types?

Double is not typedef, it's a structure
qreal can't do this:

Double num=3.2;
String str=num.ToString("0.000");
if(Double::IsNaN(num))
{
num=Double::MinValue;
}
Double num2;