PDA

View Full Version : How far Qt application compatibilty goes?

cycnus
15th March 2009, 05:10
Hi all,

I'm a linux user and have a background in programming.

I want to know how far the Qt application compatibility goes. I read somewhere that Qt application should be run on Windows/Linux/what-ever-OS. Is this mean if I make a Qt application in Linux it will also run on Windows or MacOS, provided that 2 OS have been installed the Qt library?

Is this also true for the new Qt for S60? That I could make the apps for linux, then it run on my symbian device?

Please enlighten me, or point me where to read about this. I've search for hour about this, and can't find the exact answer.

Thank you.

wysota
15th March 2009, 08:03
The compatibility is on the source code level. You have to compile the source code for each platform individually to get binaries. As for the functionality - apart from minor differences it is the same on all supported platforms.

cycnus
15th March 2009, 09:21
So,

If I have a qt program source, can I compile it for Windows from Linux? Or compile it for Linux from Windows?

And I also want to know if the Qt for S60 can be compiled from Linux?

Thanks

Lykurg
15th March 2009, 09:55
You can. Have a look here (http://silmor.de/29) or simply search for "cross compiling". You will get thousands of webpages.
But I would prefer to compile it in the os direct. With virtual machines it's no big case.