PDA

View Full Version : People prefer old forum.

r366y
13th January 2006, 14:31
Seems people still prefer old forum..
What do you think?
:(

high_flyer
13th January 2006, 14:40
Freedom is a synonym to the internet. :)
We didn't make this site because we have something against the new owner of QtForum.
But he neglected the forum so much it was impossible to use it any more so we had no other choice but to start a new one.
All we care about is that the Qt community will have a forum where Qt developers can exchange knowledge. (this is also why no private person owns this forum, so that what happened to the old forum wont happen with this one)
That is all.

BrainB0ne
14th January 2006, 01:35
I like Qt Centre more than QtForum, the look and feel is great, and you will be helped very fast with your problems.

The only negative point is dat Qt Centre has not yet that much info on the forums than QtForum, but that will grow since Qt Centre has just started.

I will stick to Qt Centre! :D

whoops.slo
14th January 2006, 15:00
one big advantage of this forum is that when you register you can actually post. At the old one I have waited over a month before somebody discovered that all new users can post only on one forum and... well than the QtCentre came to life and I am glad that you people here are able to give me quick and "different than RTFM" response...
Keep on the good work!

high_flyer
14th January 2006, 15:19
At the old one I have waited over a month before somebody discovered that all new users can post only on one forum and...
We saw that immediately, but we were unable to do anything about it, since new admin stripped the only ones of us who had full right from admin rights, and the new admin didn't give a sh** about the forum.
We then moved the posts from the where users could post to their right place.

As for RTFM answeres, you can be sure you will get them, if you ask RTFM questions!;)

CuCullin
14th January 2006, 17:34
I'll be sticing right here myself;

Saw a post from a KDE dev, this has the support of trolltech, etc Not to mention it looks nicer :D

GreyGeek
14th January 2006, 23:36
Sorry, but I prefer the QT Centre forum.:) The old forum was bought out by a person who had no real interest OR experiece in QT and the forum membership, despite his protestations. His actions speak louder than his words, as the deteriorating quality of the old forum bore witness.

As folks shift to QT4 the questions regarding Qt3 will diminish, and the huge pile of answers that solve problems that are stored in the other forum will be of historical purposes only.

I prefer the current color theme of the QTCentre forum.

The QtCentre forum moderators have shown themselves to be in the top 10% of C++ progammers, and their knowledge of QT is also in that top rank.

Someday, perhaps, there will be a dropdown combo which allows one to select their own color schemes. NOTHING is cast in concrete, you know.

kiker99
16th January 2006, 00:23
Just have some patience. I think this will be a big success :D

I think, it will be the same with other people like me - you first need to have a look at that thread (I rarely watch the announcements) before you can even think about switching.

And with the support of experienced users and administrators people who get here will stay for sure :)

r366y
16th January 2006, 09:44
My hope is QT Centre became greater than old forum.
And yes.. it looks much better than old forum .
Thanks to all people that realized it.
;)

Mariane
17th January 2006, 21:06
The remaining problem is google, I think. I looked for a Qt forum to ask
some (probably silly) questions about it, I googled "Qt forum" and the
first link was to the old forum. So I started by registering there. Then I
saw the discussion with Sigma, didn't think much of it, and came here.

Mariane

high_flyer
17th January 2006, 23:54
Well, google is listing sites by traffic, so it will take some time till this site will come before the old one.
But its easy to see that since QtCentre.org opened, the traffic there is almost none, relative to the traffic here, and in relation to what it was before, juts by looking at the number of new threads per day, and even more so, the number of threads with 0 answers.

But I would like to say again:
We are very flattered and happy you guys (and gals :) ) like QtCentre.org.
We opened it only because we had no other choice, and no for any other reason.
We would prefer, that the old forum could just go on as it was before its been sold.
Some of you think that we are competing with the old site, and that we are in a kind of "fight" to attract more users.
This is not true.
This site is here for you, the Qt programmer community, use it if you want to, or don't.
We, the administrators are nothing more then "Qt Avangellists" who think that it is very important that the community will have a free community site, and that is what this site is all about.
So, google listing, users who still go to the old forum, and anything else, is no problem.
The only thing we consider as problem, is that if this site doesn't run smoothly, and anything else that prevents people to exchange Qt information freely.
Thanks for your support, we enjoy seeing the community finds use in this site.

wysota
18th January 2006, 00:13
BTW. About three days ago QtCentre was listed on the third page of Google results after entering "Qt" as the search term. I think it is a very good result.

jacek
18th January 2006, 01:15
BTW. About three days ago QtCentre was listed on the third page of Google results after entering "Qt" as the search term. I think it is a very good result.
It's on the sixth page, you-know-what is on the third one. Nevertheless it's still good result for two weeks old site.

wysota
18th January 2006, 01:58
True. Sixth. I must have mistaken it with something else (not you-know-what-aka-QtForum).

kiker99
24th January 2006, 15:33
today, it's on the third page. 8 entries behind the old one.

Chicken Blood Machine
24th January 2006, 18:02
Seems people still prefer old forum..
What do you think?
:(

They wont any more when they realize that all the experts have moved over here!

katrina
25th January 2006, 03:37
(and gals :) )

:-)

Katrina

fullmetalcoder
25th January 2006, 09:03
They wont any more when they realize that all the experts have moved over here!

You're absolutely right!!!:D

But QtCentre.org is still on page 6 while you-know-what (Lord VoldForum!!!) is on page 2!!!
Google sucks! ;)

Matt Smith
26th January 2006, 01:00
Well, google is listing sites by traffic, so it will take some time till this site will come before the old one.

Google's method of indexing is by the number of links it discovers, not traffic, which is quite well-known and is the reason people spam blogs, in order to generate links for their site to boost their rankings on Google.

So, the way to sort out the issue of QtCentre's Google position is to encourage those who linked to the old forum to move their links here, and those people running Qt-related websites who don't link to here (or to QtF) to link here. I did on A Qt Blog the day I heard that the people who started it had moved here. This is now the only genuine Qt programmers' community website that I know of, so in time its rating will rise accordingly. It now appears on page 3 of any search for "qt" on Google.

high_flyer
26th January 2006, 02:11
Google's method of indexing is by the number of links it discovers, not traffic, which is quite well-known and is the reason people spam blogs, in order to generate links for their site to boost their rankings on Google.

True, I stand corrected, thanks for pointing this out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank