PDA

View Full Version : Configure Qt

Antebios
30th March 2009, 19:29
I got the latest Qt 4.5.0, and I FINALLY was able to complete the process (it took 4 hours and 20GB of extra disk space to compile) and now I have my LIB files in qt\lib. I was finally able to compile my program in Visual Studio. So, in my infinite wisdom I decided to run 'nmake distclean' to clear up the extra 20GB of disk space, but I think that is where my problem started. The 2 files, qtmain.lib and qtmaind.lib disappeared. I think the clean up command removed them, but other .lib files are still there.

Can anyone tell me the correct way to clear up all the temp files and keep my .lib intact? Is it okay to run 'nmake distclean' after running nmake?

wysota
30th March 2009, 22:28
I got the latest Qt 4.5.0, and I FINALLY was able to complete the process (it took 4 hours and 20GB of extra disk space to compile)
Wow... 20GB? That's huge... It takes less than 5 under 32b Linux and that's mostly because of WebKit which as far as I remember takes about 3GB. Congratulations anyway :)

So, in my infinite wisdom I decided to run 'nmake distclean' to clear up the extra 20GB of disk space, but I think that is where my problem started. The 2 files, qtmain.lib and qtmaind.lib disappeared. I think the clean up command removed them, but other .lib files are still there.
Bad idea. You should have called "nmake clean". Distclean removes all generated files - both intermediate and permanent ones.

For compilation I suggest you disable WebKit if you don't need it. Qt will build much faster. Also if you have a multiprocessor or multi-core machine try building Qt concurrently on all processing units (as far as I know bare nmake doesn't allow that).

aamer4yu
31st March 2009, 06:10
You can also have a look at this post (http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009/03/27/speeding-up-visual-c-qt-builds/) from QtSoftware Labs..

Antebios
31st March 2009, 18:36
"nmake clean" worked!!!! Now I can sompile my projects.

The one thing I did before was backup the bin, lib just in case. It did delete the .pdb files, so I just copied them back over "just in case".

Oh, aamer4yu, thanks for the link!! Very interesting.