PDA

View Full Version : Qt language of choice

alecs1
25th April 2009, 16:05
Hi,

Given the following description for a Qt program, is it realistic to use anything else than C++?

The conding will start in 3 months. Together with a friend, I'll get to choose the implementation language and we will be the only coders (at start at least).
The project will be
1.Cross platform: anything that has many users is a wanted target, mobile included.
2.Network intesive, depending on the context.
3.I/O intensive, depending on the context.
4.Should have lots of features on desktop, trimmed down on mobile.

Of course, is good to have general qualities like easy maintanance and adding of features, performance.
We are both experienced with C++ (the only language we share), and have experience with Python, Perl, Delphi, Java.

Until we start coding we may study hard anything else. Anything from the list of Qt bindings is Ok, Haskell and Python would be particularly interesting.

lyuts
26th April 2009, 09:35
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/intro

Google knows almost everything.

caduel
26th April 2009, 11:23
If really anything might be a target platform, you should try to find out what (realistic) anythings might be. Maybe Qt is not cross platform enough. (Not too likely, but a good idea to check first.)

Apart from that, I'd say Qt would probably fit your requirements.

piquadrat
26th April 2009, 11:43
Concerning PyQt4, AFAIK, it's only available on Windows, OSX and X11 (Linux, BSDs, ...). So if you want to run your application on Symbian S60 or Windows CE, PyQt4 may not be the right solution for you.

I'm quite happy with PyQt4 as a whole, the only problem being deployment. You can use py2exe, py2app or pyInstaller to generate executables, but they tend to be quite big. You'll have problems getting even a small PyQt4 application below 10 MBytes.

alecs1
26th April 2009, 20:13
If really anything might be a target platform, you should try to find out what (realistic) anythings might be. Maybe Qt is not cross platform enough. (Not too likely, but a good idea to check first.)

True, "anything" would be the ideal situation, but this is not actually possible. So the order of importance would be
must: Windows, Linux, OSX
important: S60, Windows CE
would be nice: anything else that can be touched without puting too much effort.

As I see it, the alternative to Qt would Java + Swing or SWT. Not very attractive.

Looks like the best solution remains C++.