PDA

View Full Version : Some QT books

sophister
9th May 2009, 05:44
Hi, I am learning QT, but I find that there are only four or five books bout QT in China. And what's worse, they are almost the same. And I want to further my study in QT.
Do you guys know some good books for learning QT, including books writte in English. Thanks

Lykurg
9th May 2009, 06:57
Well, the two standard books which have almost the same content are:

Jasmin Blanchette and Mark Summerfield: C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4 (2nd Edition) (Prentice Hall Open Source Software Development Series)
Johan Thelin: Foundations of Qt® Development (Expert's Voice in Open Source)

Read one of them, read also a book about pure C++ and then you are well prepared. To further study just read the documentation parts of your interest and study other projects source code. That's the best way to improve your skills.

sophister
9th May 2009, 07:20
Thanks, I am reading the first one; but I haven't heard the second one.
Thanks!

aamer4yu
9th May 2009, 08:53
This (http://www.qtsoftware.com/developer/books) might also give you some help :)

ComaWhite
10th May 2009, 09:10
Read one of them, read also a book about pure C++ and then you are well prepared. To further study just read the documentation parts of your interest and study other projects source code. That's the best way to improve your skills.

Well I got a question(possible problem) about that. If you look at other people's code. Aren't you more than likely just going to copy and paste their solutions and never learn?

aamer4yu
10th May 2009, 10:05
It depends on the person how much he copies. If he copies everything, doesnt try anythnig by himself... then he is at loss.

Others code must be used to understand the use of framework, and to some extent the patterns in the code.

Lykurg
10th May 2009, 13:31
If you look at other people's code. Aren't you more than likely just going to copy and paste their solutions and never learn?

Well if you only c&p the code, then surely you won't learn anything. But me e.g. I look at the code, try to understand what they have done and then mainly code the structures and design patterns I have learned myself optimized for my project...
Then you could learn a lot! Very much!