PDA

View Full Version : Qt for linux OR Qt/Embedded??

GeorgeOfTheBush
13th May 2009, 19:16
I am a newbie to Qt and am going to develop a qt app for an embedded device with linux as the platform. I need a FREE sdk to work on.

My question is - Which SDK should I use - Qt 4.5 sdk for linux or Qt/Embedded? I could not locate the Qt/Embedded sdk anywhere on the downloads page?

Thanks for your help!

wysota
14th May 2009, 01:42
There is no separate SDK for embedded. You have to install Creator and Qt/Embedded independently. SDK is just Creator+Qt+MinGW. You'll want a compiler dedicated for your Linux platform anyway, so there would be no sense in having separate bundles for each possible embedded platform.

GeorgeOfTheBush
14th May 2009, 09:03
I have already downloaded and installed the complete Qt for Linux SDK. Can I develop apps on linux and then port them to the embedded device? If yes, what is the procedure? If you could point me to any other links/docs, that would be great.

Also, you have asked me to install Creator and Qt/Embedded independently. How do I do that?

Thanks again.

wysota
14th May 2009, 09:57
Can I develop apps on linux and then port them to the embedded device?
Yes, with the exception that there are some classes that are available in one API not unavailable in the other.

If yes, what is the procedure?
Implement your application on desktop, then install the crosscompiler toolchain for your device, download, build and install Qt/Embedded for the target platform, correct the code to use the proper API, build and deploy.

But there is another way - you can build Qt/Embedded for your desktop platform and test the application on the built-in emulator before rebuilding it for the target machine and deploying.

Also, you have asked me to install Creator and Qt/Embedded independently. How do I do that?

Hmm... you download Qt Creator and install it and you download Qt/Embedded and install it. Or maybe I don't understand the question...

GeorgeOfTheBush
15th May 2009, 07:55
Thanks for your response. Exactly what I was looking for.

"you can build Qt/Embedded for your desktop platform and test the application on the built-in emulator before rebuilding it for the target machine and deploying."

How do I build Qt/Embedded for my linux plartform? I was of the opinion that only Qt/linux can only be built for my linux platform, not Qt/Embedded.

Do I need to download this file from the Qt site - http://get.qtsoftware.com/qt/source/qt-embedded-linux-opensource-src-4.5.1.tar.gz?? (instead of the SDK for Qt/Linux)

wysota
15th May 2009, 09:35
Please read the docs from embedded and google a bit for answers. The topic is a bit too wide to discuss it on the forum. I'd have to quote almost whole articles from the docs. It'll be much faster if you just read it.