PDA

View Full Version : How to make a proxy server?

Passerby
15th May 2009, 09:32
Hi, I'm Passerby, a newbie to Qt.

I've been trying to make a local proxy server for web browsers (HTTP protocol; something like BFilter (http://bfilter.sourceforge.net)) with Qt.
I thought the QNetworkAccessManager would be the key class, but it doesn't seem to be able to handle requests from other places. So I checked the whole QtNetwork module, and found that only QLocalServer and QTcpServer provide a listen() method. But they are quite different from QNetworkReply or QHttp. They are also not able to set a fixed local port to listen to.

So which classes should I use, in order to receive HTTP requests from a specified port, and deal with that like a proxy server?

Thanks.

auba
15th May 2009, 11:54
Mmmh... help says:
QTcpServer::bool listen ( const QHostAddress & address = QHostAddress::Any, quint16 port = 0 )

so the port can be set. My servers are all QTcpServers, works fine.

Passerby
16th May 2009, 03:11
Yes OK QTcpServer::listen() supports port#, but I'm trying to build a proxy server, not a game/IM/etc server.
So is QTcpServer the only choice, and I'll have to extract the information from the TCP connection and reassemble the HTTP request all by myself?

Passerby
6th June 2009, 04:18
Hi, it's me again.

So now I'm using QTcpServer. For every new connection, I use a QHttp to send request, and write the response back to the socket (please tell me if this is stupid; I just thought it would be easier to apply filter).

Everything works fine, except for the Transfer-Encoding: chunked response. All browsers will immediately close the socket after one chunk and act as "page can not be displayed".

I googled and wiki-ed the definition of chunked encoding, did some test, and finally found out that what QHttp::readAll() return is no longer chunked.

Then I tried removing the Transfer-Encoding header before writing. That works, but leads to another problem: by the definition of chunked encoding, the message-sender is allowed to "append" headers after the message body (so-called "trailer"). So if I remove the Transfer-Encoding header, the trailer will be lost (or treated as improper message, depending on how QHttp handle; I haven't tested that yet).

I can re-chunk the message by "repair"ing the size-line of each chunk, but still, I'll have to determine where's the trailer part and avoid counting their length. Since the size-line is already removed by QHttp, I can't think of anything except the colon and space as the identifier of trailer. But there's always chance that the message body contains a colon and space.

So can anyone please tell me how to deal with the chunked encoding transfer? Many thanks.

Fred
8th September 2010, 16:28
Hi Passerby,

this is a very interesting project since the development of BFilter is discontinued for over two years now. Do you have developed your program further? I have tried to program a proxy but I don't found out how to correctly to handle post requests of bigger files from the browser.

Greetings

tbscope
8th September 2010, 16:38
For any questions about the protocols you handle in the proxy, check the rfc's
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html

giusepped
10th August 2011, 13:22
Me too, I am developing a proxy in Qt.
It works, but not for all website.
Part of the source code can be found here

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7009259/qtcpsocket-stucks-sometimes-for-dynamic-created-java-script

Check for example this video webserver 87.22.235.24.
It hangs...
Regards

Fred
17th September 2011, 11:16
Hi giusepped,

have you solved the problem? Is the source code available so I can test it, maybe I can help. I'm looking forward for an alternative for bfilter since the project is unfortunately discontinued.

regards

giusepped
17th September 2011, 14:54
Hi giusepped,

have you solved the problem? Is the source code available so I can test it, maybe I can help. I'm looking forward for an alternative for bfilter since the project is unfortunately discontinued.

regards

I solved by doing myself a header parser, and an unzipper for gzipped sites. But do not work always. I am in trouble for just one site. If you can help, I can share the code with you. Please, reply in that case by email or pm.
Regards