PDA

View Full Version : Default Font quality not nice

vieraci
7th June 2009, 07:02
My apps and samples all don't show the same font quality that my desktop or other apps show. Is this what's called anti-aliasing ?
I tried to fix this by setting the font used to something else but it doesn't seem to change the quality. They just don't look good. I have no idea where to look.

wysota
7th June 2009, 08:51
Are you using Linux? Which distro and in which version?

vieraci
7th June 2009, 09:00
Debian lenny 5.0.1
kernel: 2.6.26-2-686
Gnome 2.22.3

I followed a post I found, said to make up a ~/.fonts.conf file which I did, then Qt Creator became bad too. Obviously it's a system thing.

I tried deleting .fonts.conf, logged back in and Qt Creator has not fixed itself.

wysota
7th June 2009, 09:09
See if the same happens with a different user. On my system I had to tweak FontConfig settings that was disabling anti-aliasing for some fonts which were apparently being chosen by the system when Qt apps were being ran. I don't experience this issue anymore, I'm using Mandriva.

vieraci
7th June 2009, 09:21
Yes it does. I'll keep googling...

vieraci
7th June 2009, 09:26
I had to tweak FontConfig settings that was disabling anti-aliasing for some fonts which were apparently being chosen by the system when Qt apps were being ran

BTW: Do you remember what you tweaked ?

wysota
7th June 2009, 09:40
Yes, I deleted /etc/fonts/20-mdv-disable-antialias.conf. But now I have it and the fonts are fine so something had to be corrected either in Qt or Mandriva.

vieraci
7th June 2009, 09:54
It was some font that I installed for some stupid reason... I removed it and all is normal again.