PDA

View Full Version : What is Qt Creator?

impeteperry
23rd June 2009, 02:38
Is this the standard Qt development like the Qt-4.xx that I've been using for several years or is this Nokia contribution?

Thanks

ChrisW67
23rd June 2009, 03:07
It is the IDE that is now available from Nokia.
http://www.qtsoftware.com/products/appdev/developer-tools/developer-tools

Lykurg
23rd June 2009, 07:10
or is this Nokia contribution?
As I remember right, the development of Qt Creator was started before Nokia take over. But anyway, what means "Nokia contribution"? There are still the same persons developing Qt and Nokia have not so much influence...

impeteperry
23rd June 2009, 13:31
Thanks, I'm in my 80's and I seen a lot of "take-overs" where the direction of a company has been altered by others who didn't know what the original developers new. I'm glad this isn't the case here.

I have writen a couple of Qt programs and am currently in the midst of a major program for the precast concrete industry. Would Qt Creator be of siginificant use to me. I am a very slow learner.

Lykurg
23rd June 2009, 13:54
I am a very slow learner.
Huh, considering your age, I wouldn't say so! I'm impressed, that you still go on programming and be interested in new things.

Regarding the creator, it is just a code editor. So there are no really advantages. Only that it provides a nice way of easy debugging, code completition, easy accessing the documentation etc. But all that is not necessary and with the assistant and designer you already have wonderfull tools, and changing the window to see the documentation is not so much work.

But just try of you like the GUI of the qtcreator. I don't know how you currently develop = with which IDE, but if you use e.g. Eclipse, I won't change, since there are no really new features in the creator. The opposite could be the case: only indention of the code, no real code formatting; No support of a directory hierarchy in you project (isn't shown in the available files), no nice variable highlighting like in Eclipse, no "replace in whole project considering the c++ guide lines" etc...

impeteperry
23rd June 2009, 16:06
I think I understand you. I use kdevelop and/or qdevelop for my debugging. I was never very happy with GDB, DDD or insite. I will be using opengl for generating and rendering my building elements.

Since the arrival of the computer, I've been fighting CAD, particularly AutoCAD. I have done some work for Microstation using their MDL language.

I am a structural engineer working in the precast concrete building industry. The problem with CAD is it takes 5 different drawings to produce a member:

floor plan
elevation
wall section
detail
production drawing with data from each one of these independent drawings

But these drawings don't talk to each other
Any changes have to be made to each one of thes drawings. Miss one .......

I have a library of standard products. I make a layout of grid lines . I locate a column by reference to an intersection of grid lines. Locate a beam in reference to its supporting columns. The floor plank in terms of its supporting beams etc. so if a grid line is moved, all the elements automatically reflect the change.

This program is a Linux rewrite of a program I wrote prior to Windows (ugh} (also a mistake in concept);

Also I am using a user interface, such that if it takes more than a day for a new user to use the program, I havd not done my work.

Thanks for the opportunity to explain why I use Qt.

pete

Lykurg
23rd June 2009, 21:51
I think I understand you. I use kdevelop and/or qdevelop for my debugging. I was never very happy with GDB, DDD or insite. I will be using opengl for generating and rendering my building elements.

Then you really don't need to change or even think any more about the creator. In ~2003 I also used kdevelop which was really nice and I think still is, but I chanced to eclipse some years later, since I could use it also under windows, if necessary.

Since the arrival of the computer, I've been fighting CAD, particularly AutoCAD. I have done some work for Microstation using their MDL language.

I am a structural engineer working in the precast concrete building industry. The problem with CAD is it takes 5 different drawings to produce a member:

floor plan
elevation
wall section
detail
production drawing with data from each one of these independent drawings

Yet, I never had to do anything with CAD and after your description I am glad that I haven't till now.

I have a library of standard products. I make a layout of grid lines . I locate a column by reference to an intersection of grid lines. Locate a beam in reference to its supporting columns. The floor plank in terms of its supporting beams etc. so if a grid line is moved, all the elements automatically reflect the change.

This program is a Linux rewrite of a program I wrote prior to Windows (ugh} (also a mistake in concept);
:D

Also I am using a user interface, such that if it takes more than a day for a new user to use the program, I havd not done my work.

Thanks for the opportunity to explain why I use Qt.

pete

Your project sounds nice and could be really an ease when dealing with CAD. Keep on coding!

Lykurg

john_god
1st July 2009, 18:20
Im using qtcreator and think its very cool. Used eclipse for a while before creator, but never really explore it, so I prefer qtcreator because fits my needs.

I am also a cad user.

I know wath you mean. Autocad its the top of industry leader, a major monster but its about 2D/3D vectorial drawing, among many another thinks, but its not about programming.
I already have had the temptation to start programming my own cad, but I would die before I had something really usefull. :p.
Im not sure but think autocad is develop with ms visualc. Right now Iam using pcad, wich I believe its develop with (visual basic :eek: ) somewhat buggy but much more cheap. And there is also a 2D cad develop with qt, QCad