PDA

View Full Version : Problem using VS add-in

uj
24th June 2009, 12:28
Hi,

I've installed the current "Qt SDK for Open Source C++ development on Windows" without problems. I have Windows Vista Home.

I've also installed the current "Visual Studio Add-in". I have VS 2008.

When I try to create a Qt project in VS I get the following error message. "Unable to find a Qt build! To solve this problem specify a Qt build".

How do I specify a Qt build?

Thank you.

nish
25th June 2009, 02:28
there will be a menu in visual studio which may be third or fourth from the File menu. The name of the menu is Qt. click on it. Find something like options/preferences. set the qt directory there.

ksqt
25th June 2009, 06:54
From Visual Studio -
Qt -> Qt Options -> select Qt Versions tab
Click Add
Under 'Version name', just write anything you wish to name here
Then Click the elipse button under 'Path' and navigate to Qt version you have on computer.

uj
25th June 2009, 07:44
I've tried using the "Add New Qt Version" dialog. The problem is that the OK button stays inactive whatever I type in the input fields. When I click on OK nothing happens so I cannot enter the "Version name" and "Path" as I'm supposed to.

nish
25th June 2009, 09:55
the qt sdk is ment to be for mingw. so u have to download the qt library sources and fist compile them for msvc then u can set the path.

uj
25th June 2009, 12:05
the qt sdk is ment to be for mingw. so u have to download the qt library sources and fist compile them for msvc then u can set the path.

If first didn't believe you but if one looks carefully at the download page there's actually a small footnote stating what you say.

So if I manage to compile Qt from the sources and put the result in a library then the Qt Visual Studio integration somehow senses that and will allow me to specify a path to that library?

Why this complication in using Qt with VS? I guess if I bought the commersial version of Qt the binary download would work perfectly fine with VS wouldn't it. Well, I guess I'll have to stop whining and bite the bullet if I want Qt for free. :)

Teerayoot
25th June 2009, 15:08
Try switch to Qt Creator intead if you are
Newbies,Intermediate or Guru! developer.

nish
26th June 2009, 01:43
So if I manage to compile Qt from the sources and put the result in a library then the Qt Visual Studio integration somehow senses that and will allow me to specify a path to that library?

yes. this is because when u compile with msvc then the qmake makespec is set to msvc-2008(2005 etc) but with mingw the makespec is set to g++ therefore qmake looses its ability to generate vcproj files.. hence the vs addin cant use qmake(vs addin just calls qmake to make vcproj file).

Why this complication in using Qt with VS? I guess if I bought the commersial version of Qt the binary download would work perfectly fine with VS wouldn't it. Well, I guess I'll have to stop whining and bite the bullet if I want Qt for free. :)
the commercial version is compiled with MSVC.

uj
26th June 2009, 07:53
the commercial version is compiled with MSVC.

I suspected that might be the case. And it probably made sense to kind of restrict the use of the open source version of Qt. But now with the addition of LGPL and the fact that Nokia probably is more interested in promoting the use of Qt rather than making money from it, I feel this restriction is of the past and should be lifted.

So hopefully a binary LGPL download for the MSVC development environment is added very soon.

Thanks all for your help!