PDA

View Full Version : I want to read a *.indd file, where can I find information about its format?

pir
14th May 2006, 15:08
Hi!
I know that this isn't a real hardcore C++ question. But I thought that this would be the right forum for it anyway...

I want to read a *.indd file (from Adobe Indesign). Where can I find information about how to read it in my program, how the information is written?
When I read rtg-files from Maya I could find descriptions about the fileformat easy, but not in this case...
How do people normaly do when they want to read a fileformat created from some program?

I'm grateful for all tips...
/pir

wysota
14th May 2006, 17:57
How do people normaly do when they want to read a fileformat created from some program?

They ask their authors for specification of the file format.

As for InDesign, check if Scribus reads it. You might take the code from there.

pir
15th May 2006, 10:02
It doesn't seem like Scribus can read it... but I'm not completely sure yet. Can't find a list of accepted filetypes.

About the authors of filetypes... the *indd filetype is made by Adobe and they dont want to share the information about their files. I suppose there are some point with that...

but thanks for the tip

wysota
15th May 2006, 12:54
About the authors of filetypes... the *indd filetype is made by Adobe and they dont want to share the information about their files. I suppose there are some point with that...

Did you ask them?

BTW. There is always reverse engeneering (in countries when it's not illegal to do it).

pir
16th May 2006, 10:33
yes, I called the support... and it doesn't suprice me that they dont want to give the documentation.

I suppose they have a point with not giving their competitiors the oportunity to easier steal customers... or something. But from my point of view it should be better to give users the oportunity to build applications around the file format and make it a natural part of the workflow. I think that it's nothing that is more depressing than programs having formats which makes it almost impossible to use other programs as a complement.

Reverse engineering isn't worth it in this case. There are ways to get the information to XML and stuff from the indd. But the drawback is that it demands more work from the guy sitting with the InDesign program.

but thanks anyway for your tips.
/pir

iGoo
26th May 2006, 04:02
Debug the appalication which can do this using ASM debugger(such as ollydbg).
Many licence file of copyright protectation is opened this way.

Then,you can crack the file format.

pir
31st May 2006, 23:12
Nice!

But I suppose it's not really worth the trouble in this case.
But I really need to try this out. It seems like a nice skill to be able to do this.

So the workflow is to decompile the app that can read the file and look for parts to see how it reads the file?

pir

jacek
1st June 2006, 00:07
So the workflow is to decompile the app that can read the file and look for parts to see how it reads the file?
Yes, but beware that it might be against the law (for example Polish law allows reverse engineering only under some circumstances).

Another approach would be to generate and compare a set of files that differ only in one detail.

pir
1st June 2006, 08:41
Is it illegal to make a program that is able to import a indd file? It feels like some kind of a smoking gun... but if the workflow, described just above, about trying to make small changes to the files works, then it can't be illegal... ? Or is it possible to take patent (or wathever used in these cases) on file formats that doesn't contain any special fancy algorithm ( like GIF ) but just store data.

I tried a decompiler program yesterday that tried to convert a program into C like code. It was more like C mixed with partly dissolved assembly. But it seems like a fully doable task which can be done by anyone who wants to crack it bad enough. Ok, I have just tried simple examples that were designed to be used as examples. But I thought before that you had to be some kind of a geniuous to do stuff like this.

This makes it harder for me to understand why companies don't want to share their file formats. Is it not a good thing that programs are compatible with each other? I don't want to steal Adobe customers, I want to make it easier for Adobe users to use my app and make the world a more happy place. There are few things that makes me sader than incomaptible file formats. It's really sad if one has to buy all programs from the same company just because it's the only way to have a complete workflow, without too much hazle, and not because those are the best that can be found on the market.

pir

wysota
1st June 2006, 09:33
It might be illegal to disassemble a program. It all depends on the law of your country.

pir
1st June 2006, 09:58
Yes, I suppose it is in Sweden too. That's pretty logical. But the question is if one can sell a commersial product that can import protected file formats. It should be kind of obvious that the maker of the program have used illegall methods to make the import functionality possible.

pir

jacek
1st June 2006, 14:31
But the question is if one can sell a commersial product that can import protected file formats. It should be kind of obvious that the maker of the program have used illegall methods to make the import functionality possible.
Polish law allows you to reverse engineer an application to achieve compatibility with other programs, as long as you don't use it to develop an application with the same functionality. So it is perfectly legal to create *.something to *.indd converter (or vice versa), but you can't develop your own typesetting application that reads *.indd files.

I'm sure that there is some way you could buy^H^H^H get specification or library that will enable you to use .indd files in your application. Maybe you can develop a plugin for InDesign instead?

pir
1st June 2006, 14:39
Polish law allows you to reverse engineer an application to achieve compatibility with other programs, as long as you don't use it to develop an application with the same functionality. So it is perfectly legal to create *.something to *.indd converter (or vice versa), but you can't develop your own typesetting application that reads *.indd files.

I have to check if this is also the case in Sweden. I hope Swedish lawmakers are as smart as the Polish.
There should be somekind of international website where you can look what laws exists in different country in this area. Would be nice to be able to see what one is allowed to do, instead being scared of trip on some copyright law that doesn't exist.

thanks
pir

jacek
1st June 2006, 15:01
lawmakers are as smart as the Polish.
To be honest it's one of the rare cases when they did something smart (apart from opposing software patents and preparing new anti-spam regulations), but I guess it's just because politicians leave such uninteresing problems to experts instead of dealing with them themselves. ;)

There should be somekind of international website where you can look what laws exists in different country in this area.
IMO it would be very hard to keep it up to date, but maybe EU has one.