PDA

View Full Version : No installation step when compiling Qt on Windows?

piotr.dobrogost
15th July 2009, 19:50
I compiled Qt 4.5.2 under VS2008 on Windows.
The INSTALL file that comes with the library says nothing about installation step. To be more precise you can read this
4. Building
(instructions how to build)
5. That's all. Qt is now installed.

Is there really no installation step after compilation of qt??

nish
16th July 2009, 02:23
thats it... you can set the QTDIR env variable to windows to make it a complete install:)

piotr.dobrogost
16th July 2009, 11:01
In the INSTALL file you can read this

If you need to reconfigure and rebuild Qt from the same location,
ensure that all traces of the previous configuration are removed
by entering the build directory and typing

nmake confclean

before running the configure script again.

Before: 41315 files
After: 33890 files

Shouldn't it be always done after building Qt.

nish
16th July 2009, 11:20
no.. it is needed if you want to recompile qt. Now when u have compiled.. u dont need it,, and DO NOT do it.

piotr.dobrogost
16th July 2009, 12:12
no.. it is needed if you want to recompile qt. Now when u have compiled.. u dont need it,, and DO NOT do it.

I compiled qt in one place and then moved it into another one, from where I'm going to use it. I'm not going to recompile moved version any more. In case I would like to recompile qt I'll use the original version. Shouldn't I clean the moved version if I'm only going to use it?

Although there's no installation step in the INSTALL file mentioned, when you run configure you get a list of options set and one of them is the install_prefix set to the same folder you are in (the folder with qt sources). So maybe there's hidden installation step not mentioned in the INSTALL file. Do you know how I could change this install_prefix option so that qt would be installed in some specific folder instead of the one with the source?

piotr.dobrogost
17th July 2009, 09:21
So you're saying these 323 tmp folders with 10936 files are neccessary for Qt to work?!

piotr.dobrogost
17th July 2009, 09:37
One more thing; If there's no installation step then why Qt Creator says
The Qt Version c:\qt\4.5.2-gcc3 is not installed. Run make install.??

nish
17th July 2009, 09:40
do you know what is the meaning of configure, make and make install? if not please you have to read a little more. I think you are confusing the "sofware installation on windows" with make install.

piotr.dobrogost
17th July 2009, 10:01
do you know what is the meaning of configure, make and make install? if not please you have to read a little more. I think you are confusing the "sofware installation on windows" with make install.

In case of compiling software from source, make install is supposed to do very similar things on *unix and Windows namely it has to copy execs, libs and other necessary files to proper folders in the system. By doing this we can be sure we're not left with a bunch of useless tmp files made during compilation.
Don't you agree with this?

If you agree with the above then I'm asking again
Why there's no installation step when building Qt on Windows? This step seems necessary to at least get rid of all these tmp files.