PDA

View Full Version : Experts, what IDE are you using ?

probine
17th May 2006, 00:10
Hi Experts,

Is there any IDE that you are using that allows us to have autocompletion, etc... ?

jacek
17th May 2006, 01:23
Is there any IDE that you are using that allows us to have autocompletion, etc... ?
KDevelop (to some extent).

Brandybuck
17th May 2006, 07:15
I don't use an IDE at all, but my friends tell me that's because I'm a troglodyte. :rolleyes:

probine
17th May 2006, 09:26
Jacek, you use KDevelop ?

mcosta
17th May 2006, 09:30

KDevelop it's great!!!

You can use it whit Qt 4.x.
All you need is to set QTDIR environment variable to QT4 Path and set PATH to use QTDIR.
Lanch KDevelop and WORK.

zlatko
17th May 2006, 09:38
I use Microsoft Visual Studio uder windows :)
And try use KDevelop under Linux/FreeBSD :eek:

Cesar
17th May 2006, 10:07
I can't say I'm an expert... Anyway, IMHO Vim is the best IDE ever created :)

acix
17th May 2006, 12:53
KDevelop it's great!!!

To some extend Kdevelop will do just fine, although needs some improvements on the autocompletion part and refactoring is somehow missing in this IDE.
Personally I use Kdevelop, I just cant find a better IDE, especially for C++ !

jacek
17th May 2006, 14:47
Yes, I do.

ball
17th May 2006, 19:15
I use Visual Studio .NET 2003, which is a very good debugging tool.

pir
19th May 2006, 00:02
Is Emacs totally out of fashion? I've never found a IDE that I liked.

wysota
19th May 2006, 01:37
Emacs is for HaXoRs who can't handle vi key bindings ;)

pir
19th May 2006, 08:06
haha You're right, it's too much for me to handle. I like bizarr key bindings. I'm thinking about making my own keybinding where I only need to remember two keys, Ctrl and x. Then I only need to remember how many times I need to press theses two to make the different commands... I think it a really big hit.
For examle open a file: press Ctrl, press x, double press Ctrl while triple click x... easy and fast!

But does anybody know if there are openGL indentation functionality for emacs somewhere. I've read on some page that there are a IDE that indents openGL commans verry nice. But I can't remember the name of that IDE. But it really made the code verry pretty. I like when the code is as pretty as me.

/pir

Spockmeat
22nd May 2006, 19:16
I use eclipse myself. I wll agree, KDevelop is quite nice as well.

Michiel
25th May 2006, 22:30
Does KDevelop support QT 4 Designer yet?

wysota
25th May 2006, 23:13
No, it doesn't. You have to use it as a standalone application.

rickbsgu
30th May 2006, 19:38
Coding in vim on all platforms.

Ditto for configuration management/PERL. (Have been using CLI PHP for scripting instead of PERL, lately - just as strong and nicer syntax.)

Debugging in Visual Studio (2003) on Windows.

Usually debug in dbx, gdb, or like utility on unix. gdb works reasonably well under emacs.

Eclipse looks pretty nice. Does it work in a C++ environment? Can it use make files?

rickb

jacek
30th May 2006, 20:06
Eclipse looks pretty nice. Does it work in a C++ environment? Can it use make files?
Yes, you just have to install C/C++ Development Tools (http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/). There's a howto somewhere that describes how to use qmake in Eclipse.

GreyGeek
30th May 2006, 22:24
Hi Experts,

I'm not an expert, just a yomen.

I use MS VisualStudio 2003 on Win2K, and on Linux I prefer Kate.

Kate has a form of code completion in that it offers you contextual options using previously entered code. After porting a Windows app to Linux I found Kate worked as well as MSVS2003. MSVS2003 will often offer you more properties and methods than an object actually has, so in that regard it's no better than Kate. One thing I like about kate is that I can open a terminal in a quarter panel on the lower right side and compile from within Kate. Compiler errors are immediately available without being masked by Kate.

I just upgraded my MEPIS to 6.0 b4 and it includes QT4.1.2. However, when I was attempted to open a ui designed in 4.1.0 using KDevelop's included QT designer, it wouldn't open. The QT 4.1.2 designer alone would open it.

wysota
31st May 2006, 00:25
KDevelop integrates Designer from Qt3, so it can't work with Qt4 ui files.

fullmetalcoder
1st June 2006, 10:42
I had the same problem under Fedora Core 5. As I didn't need Qt3 developpment tools I wen to /usr/bin directory, find them and appended a '3' to their name. Then I extended path variable in /etc/profile and everything worked fine : manual build of Qt4 projects, openning of designer files from konqui, ...
Life is so beautiful with a good linux distro! :D

wysota
1st June 2006, 15:39
I had the same problem under Fedora Core 5. As I didn't need Qt3 developpment tools I wen to /usr/bin directory, find them and appended a '3' to their name. Then I extended path variable in /etc/profile and everything worked fine : manual build of Qt4 projects, openning of designer files from konqui, ...
Life is so beautiful with a good linux distro! :D

Wouldn't it be simpler just to extend your PATH variable so that Qt4 tools come earlier in the chain that Qt3 ones? In my case: export PATH=/usr/lib/qt4/bin:$PATH

anli
12th July 2006, 07:51
It is interesting, still have not found successful strory about code QT4 completion with KDevelop. An adding QT4 src dir to PCS database doesn't help. But there is a very interesting thing. CC works for derived (own) classes and shows all inherited (i.e., QT4's) methods!! Probably a very little last trick is hidden somewhere here to force KDevelop to autocomplete QT4 classes :-) I use QT 4.1.4 and Kdevelop 3.3.3.

Has anybody some thoughts where this trick live?

Wysota, your messages tell me, you are an expert here (and there :-)). Will you?

BTW, after '-->' typing KDevelop's status string says via flash message, say, that this instance is a QPushButton (or something other QT approriate class).

anli
14th July 2006, 02:20
Just want to inform, QT4 codecompletion *works* with kdevelop 3.3.91 (development version).

aMan
14th July 2006, 15:03
is it stable?

anli
14th July 2006, 18:29
is it stable?
I can not judge from my newbie level. At any case, I have not any reason to downgrade yet.

jrideout
14th July 2006, 22:19
Kdevelop 3.3.91 is mostly stable. But, about once a week I will bomb on be when using the new gdb interface. I've been told all the bugs I've reported have been fixed in trunk and will be out with the next kdevelep 3.4 beta. There are a few minor non crashing bugs that are more like quirks though. I use it because the qt4 integration is many times better.

aMan
15th July 2006, 14:17
thanks for the answer..

but one more question:
in the feature plan (http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=3.4/features.html) there stands:

new class wizard
- bug fixes
- creation of headers only
is this optional, or does it realy never create the heads of the methods?

regards..
aman..

jrideout
15th July 2006, 23:43
"create only header" is an option provided by a checkbox in the class creater wizard that only generates the header and not implementation stubs, so it only doest this if you want it to, either way it always creates the header.

aMan
16th July 2006, 00:03
"create only header" is an option provided by a checkbox in the class creater wizard that only generates the header and not implementation stubs, so it only doest this if you want it to, either way it always creates the header.
thanks, sounds good..