PDA

View Full Version : Linking to a static library on Windows

rexi
22nd July 2009, 22:17
Hi,

I'm somewhat confused by this problem I ran into:
I have a static library (not written by me, though I have changed its build system to qmake) that I want to use in my application. The library itself is compatible with Linux and Windows, it is stated. And yes, it compiles well on both. But, when I want to actually use it, everything is fine on Linux, but on Windows the linker gives me strange errors that it cannot find anything. I am not at all familiar with how to use static libraries on Windows, so I guess the error is on my part...

As it is very small, I have attached the test project. Maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Oh, and for those that take in interest in it: said library is XmlRpc++ (http://xmlrpcpp.sourceforge.net/)

kuzulis
23rd July 2009, 06:51
Try to use: http://code.google.com/p/qxmlrpc/source/checkout

rexi
23rd July 2009, 12:59
Thanks, I'll have a look at it. Still, I'd like to know what the problem is with linking on Windows and how to solve it.

kuzulis
23rd July 2009, 13:04
Thanks, I'll have a look at it. Still, I'd like to know what the problem is with linking on Windows and how to solve it.

No problems there! :)

franz
23rd July 2009, 22:48

What compiler do you use and what are the errors you get?

rexi
24th July 2009, 00:10
g++ 3.4.2 from the MinGW installed with Qt 4.5.1.

The exact errors are:

g++ -enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runtime-pseudo-rel
oc -mthreads -Wl -Wl,-subsystem,windows -o ..\build\xmlrpc-client.exe debug/clie
nt.o -L"c:\Qt\4.5.1\lib" -lmingw32 -lqtmaind -L../build -lxmlrpc -lQtCored4
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x2a): In function `Z11initWinSockv':

C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:48: undefined reference to `WSAStartup@8'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x5d): In function `ZN6XmlRpc12XmlRpc
Socket6socketEv':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:83: undefined reference to `socket@12'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x8e): In function `ZN6XmlRpc12XmlRpc
Socket5closeEi':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:92: undefined reference to `closesocket@4'

../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0xbc): In function `ZN6XmlRpc12XmlRpc
Socket14setNonBlockingEi':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:106: undefined reference to `ioctlsocket@1
2'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x10b): In function `ZN6XmlRpc12XmlRp
cSocket12setReuseAddrEi':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:118: undefined reference to `setsockopt@20
'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x157): In function `ZN6XmlRpc12XmlRp
cSocket4bindEii':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:129: undefined reference to `htonl@4'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x16b):C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSoc
ket.cpp:130: undefined reference to `htons@4'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x18c):C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSoc
ket.cpp:131: undefined reference to `bind@12'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x1bc): In function `ZN6XmlRpc12XmlRp
cSocket6listenEii':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:139: undefined reference to `listen@8'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x1fa): In function `ZN6XmlRpc12XmlRp
cSocket6acceptEi':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:154: undefined reference to `accept@12'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x23a): In function `ZN6XmlRpc12XmlRp
cSocket7connectEiRSsi':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:167: undefined reference to `gethostbyname
@4'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x290):C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSoc
ket.cpp:172: undefined reference to `htons@4'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x2b1):C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSoc
ket.cpp:176: undefined reference to `connect@12'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x389): In function `ZN6XmlRpc12XmlRp
cSocket6nbReadEiRSsPb':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:194: undefined reference to `recv@16'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x4a4): In function `ZN6XmlRpc12XmlRp
cSocket7nbWriteEiRSsPi':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:226: undefined reference to `send@16'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcSocket.o)(.text+0x51d): In function `ZN6XmlRpc12XmlRp
cSocket8getErrorEv':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcSocket.cpp:251: undefined reference to `WSAGetLastErr
or@0'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcDispatch.o)(.text+0x6b3): In function `ZN6XmlRpc14Xml
RpcDispatch4workEd':
C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcDispatch.cpp:103: undefined reference to `select@20'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcDispatch.o)(.text+0x7b6):C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcD
ispatch.cpp:109: undefined reference to `select@20'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcDispatch.o)(.text+0x8d6):C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcD
ispatch.cpp:128: undefined reference to `__WSAFDIsSet@8'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcDispatch.o)(.text+0x929):C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcD
ispatch.cpp:130: undefined reference to `__WSAFDIsSet@8'
../build/libxmlrpc.a(XmlRpcDispatch.o)(.text+0x97c):C:/XmlRpc++/xmlrpc++/XmlRpcD
ispatch.cpp:132: undefined reference to `__WSAFDIsSet@8'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
mingw32-make[2]: *** [..\build\xmlrpc-client.exe] Error 1
mingw32-make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/XmlRpc++/client'
mingw32-make[1]: *** [debug] Error 2
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/XmlRpc++/client'
mingw32-make: *** [sub-client-make_default-ordered] Error 2

kuzulis
24th July 2009, 07:00
Changes in the file : \XmlRpc++\xmlrp++\xmlrpc++.pro

XmlRcpSource.h \
XmlRcpUtil.h \
XmlRcpValue.h

on

XmlRpcSource.h \
XmlRpcUtil.h \
XmlRpcValue.h

PS: And to see that you display qmake - where it all clear

Be careful!

rexi
24th July 2009, 11:30
Thanks, that was a stupid typo. It doesn't change anything, though, the problem remains. The linking step still fails with the same error messages.

rexi
27th July 2009, 20:50
Just for the record, in case anyone is interested in this: the problem was that, in addition to the static library I used, I also had to link against the Winsocks library which is used by said static library. Strange, but it solves the problem.

rexi
27th July 2009, 20:54
Try to use: http://code.google.com/p/qxmlrpc/source/checkout

Looks promising, but there doesn't seem to happen much at the moment. I'll stay with XmlRpc++, as it has less dependencies. And it now, finally, works ;)