PDA

View Full Version : How can I move from VS2005 Qt4.5 to Qt Creator?

ricardo
30th July 2009, 17:12
Hi dudes!

I have a medium size program I did using VS2005 and Qt4.5 open source edition. My question is: Is it easy to convert my project to Qt Creator? (in order to avoid visual studio licenses) or are there any issues or anything I should know?

Thanks a lot

franz
30th July 2009, 21:16
You can use the Qt Visual studio plugin to create a basic project file (or qmake -project for that matter). You will probably have to edit most of the project file yourself. There is no 1-on-1 conversion from vcproj to pro at this moment. In any case, the qmake project will end up much clearer than the sln/vcproj mess that visual studio sometimes ends up with.

While using Qt Creator I sometimes notice serious delays when debugging. At the rate the trolls are working on new stuff I expect that will improve significantly over the next couple of months.

ricardo
30th July 2009, 21:22
One question: Is it true that Qt Creator doesn't allow directory structures in projects?
I would like to integrate some libs on different folders.

Thanks.

franz
30th July 2009, 21:40
That's true. However if you spend some time, you can work your way around that using the include function in your project file.

An other way is to put all your projects into their own directories (with equally named project files) and make a top level file that uses the subdirs template. That way you will at least have your different projects separated, but still have them accessible through only one project description. A rather extensive example are the Qt project files themselves.

ricardo
30th July 2009, 21:50
Thanks for reply.