PDA

View Full Version : Is Qt Cute?

Jimmy2775
24th May 2006, 22:25
Somone referred me to a promotional video for Qt - the Qt4 dance (http://tracker.trolltech.com/video/qt4dance_medium.mov). During the video it seems like they are pronouncing Qt as 'Cute'. Is that right? Is that what other people are calling it? I've been referring to it by the letters 'Q-T'...

Not sure I want to call myself a "Cute Programmer"...

jacek
24th May 2006, 22:43
Is that right?
Yes, but you don't have to.

I've been referring to it by the letters 'Q-T'...
Me too.

Glitch
24th May 2006, 22:46
Ah, the great confusion of Qt.....

When you call Trolltech's offices you will hear "Cute", which I'm sure makes it the official pronounciation. Although I'm sure a Sales Troll will gladly sell you Q-T for the same price ;) Cute is also the common pronounciation in Europe. Here in the States we have a habit of making thing so much less fun. You will hear a mix match of Cute and Q-T depending on who you talk to. I'm not sure if its our love of acyonyms or inherited pronounciation from Xt. As a consultant and trainer, I usually call it whatever my customer calls it ;)

--Justin Noel
justin@ics.com

Jimmy2775
24th May 2006, 22:49
Well, thanks for enlightening me. "Cute" is definitely more fun than "Q-T". Perhaps I'll send that Qt dance video around the office and see if I can't get them all to change what we've been calling it...

Brandybuck
25th May 2006, 00:21
Xt is pronounced "ex-tee", C is pronounced "see" (and not "k"), vi is pronounced "vee-eye", KDE is pronounced "kay-dee-ee", and X11R6 is pronounced "ex-eh-lev-en-are-six".

:D :p :D

p.s. I wonder if the Trolls pronounce QObject() as "kob-ject".

incapacitant
25th May 2006, 20:35
Pour ceux qui parlent français :

les amoureux de Qt sont des culs terreux :p

Michiel
25th May 2006, 21:10
I also pronounce it Q-T.

By the way, is any programmer impressed by this video? After seeing it, do you think: "Wow, that looks like a good framework."? I think it can only hurt more than help.

michael
25th May 2006, 22:15
You know. If I was a pretty femal programmer I might not have a problem calling myself a "cute programmer". However, being an oversized male I think I will stick to "Que-Tee".. :)

Michael

Jimmy2775
25th May 2006, 22:45
Yeah I'm not sure about that "Qt dance" video... I don't know what the context is - sales, or maybe just for a laugh... at least it looks like they're having fun :)

Michiel
25th May 2006, 22:51
Not really. It looks like their families are being held hostage and they're being forced to do this.:D

wysota
25th May 2006, 23:12
Trolltech people are known for their creativity, ideas and non-conventional behaviour :) Have you heard about "creative fridays"?

fullmetalcoder
26th May 2006, 13:39
Pour ceux qui parlent français :

les amoureux de Qt sont des culs terreux :p
Good damn you! I'm french but not a cul-terreux! On dirait qu'on est les seuls ici mais c'est pas grave...

rickbsgu
26th May 2006, 23:53
No. It's 'Cutie'.

Which I'm not.

rickb

wysota
27th May 2006, 02:34
Does it really matter? For me it's important that I can implement software with it easily, no matter how you pronounce it.

The official pronounciation is "cute", a Yankee habit(1) of spelling abreviations letter by letter(2) (hence also QColor and not QColour, etc.), which seems odd as Qt is totally a European product.

-----------
(1) and please don't give counter arguments of "CIA", "FBI", "NSA", etc.
(2) I heard Microsoft people spell SQL as "school".

acix
29th May 2006, 13:02
Does it really matter? For me it's important that I can implement software with it easily, no matter how you pronounce it.

Yep, thats the point, QT just makes your life easier :) no matter how is pronounced !
actually, it seems to me there is nothing wrong pronouncing it "cute", its sounds like a platform having all the good part of programming, fun,easy,effective !

(2) I heard Microsoft people spell SQL as "school".
:D :eek: interesting !

cheerz