PDA

View Full Version : Game Development

AlexanderPopov
13th September 2009, 09:32
Hi everyone. Searched this forum for "game development" with zero rezult. I use Qt for 2.5 years or something more, but for making interfaces. Right now I'm curious about creating a game (not like big AAA games, something like um... indie) and the question is - what do you think about Qt as a platform for game development? And maybe there is a book about it?

buf1024
13th September 2009, 10:40
I am novice to Qt, and now exploring its power. If the power of the Qt is strong enough, it's not problem to use it as a game platform. But today, game developed using Qt is so rare. Compare to other game frameworks, if we use Qt, I think we have to work more extra!

AlexanderPopov
13th September 2009, 13:24
Actually using Qt for game development has its benefits. For example, Qt game can be distributed to Windows and all other Unix systems.

nish
14th September 2009, 09:41
if you are talking about 3D games then Qt is of no use..

wysota
14th September 2009, 10:03
Actually using Qt for game development has its benefits.
I'd see most power for implementing games in the Graphics View architecture - try it.

if you are talking about 3D games then Qt is of no use..

That's completely false. Qt supports OpenGL so whatever can be done in OpenGL, it can be done in Qt as well. And using Qt for overlays and UI in such situation is surely beneficial.

And see WolfenQt for pseudo-3D with Qt in action.

planetcse
12th October 2011, 01:14
hi! guys, i am a novice in qt but i know that game development is possible qt with opengl if i am right..

tamhanna
15th October 2011, 00:55
Not necessarily, you need 3D. I have a 2D game written and selling in Qt:
http://www.tamoggemon.com/s60/balz.html

If you PM me, I can send you a full version so that you can evaluate on phone.