PDA

View Full Version : Is there a relation between Qt and Quick Time?

Mariane
17th January 2006, 21:13
Other than the initials?

Mariane

CuCullin
17th January 2006, 21:22
Not even with initials, really :D Trolltech's toolkit is Qt, while QuickTime's initials are QT :D

yop
17th January 2006, 22:03
Only that they appear mixed in a google search :D

Mariane
17th January 2006, 22:26
OK :) So, what does Qt mean?

Mariane

yop
17th January 2006, 22:35
No that's a thing that I always liked. Q looked nice on the font the one of the Qt creators used and t came fom Xt. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28toolkit%29

wysota
17th January 2006, 23:14
And maybe also the fact, that Trolltech was originally named Quasar Technologies (hence the 'Q' in Qt). But it could be they named the company after the toolkit (Qt was then called Quasar toolkit) and not the opposite.

yop
17th January 2006, 23:18
And maybe also the fact, that Trolltech was originally named Quasar Technologies (hence the 'Q' in Qt). But it could be they named the company after the toolkit (Qt was then called Quasar toolkit) and not the opposite.I like the "beautiful Q" version of the story better :)

wysota
17th January 2006, 23:19
I like the "beautiful Q" version of the story better :)

One does not deny the other. Where do you think "Q" in "Quasar" came from? ;)

Mariane
18th January 2006, 17:18
It's pronounced like cutie, isn't it?

Mariane

CuCullin
18th January 2006, 17:33
just "cute", not "cutie" :)

katrina
22nd January 2006, 17:12
just "cute", not "cutie" :)

Really? I have always said it as two letters. (kyoo tee)
but then I tend to stay away from adding (or removing) sounds into(from) initialisms to turn them into words (eg, I say "ess kyoo el" insted of "sequal"; "key dee ee" instead of "kuhdeh") (sorry couldn't help throwing a fake one in)

Katrina

jacek
22nd January 2006, 18:13
I say "ess kyoo el" insted of "sequal"
People tend to pronounce "SQL" wrongly as "sequel", because in ancient times there was another language, a SQL precursor, called Structured English Query Language --- SEQUEL in short. One of the sources of this error is M$. I heard its employees talking about "sequel server". How one could trust such "experts" if they don't know what they are talking about? ;)

wysota
22nd January 2006, 20:23
Maybe their SQL servers are really SEQUEL ones? :rolleyes:

CuCullin
23rd January 2006, 19:53
Nope, its ess-kyoo-ell for their servers, they just don't know what they're doing ;)

And for the most part Katrina, you're doing it right. I sometimes say "kyoo-tee", then correct myself to "cute". My favorite is PostgreSQL - "post-gres-kyoo-ell" :)

katrina
23rd January 2006, 23:23
Nope, its ess-kyoo-ell for their servers, they just don't know what they're doing ;)

And for the most part Katrina, you're doing it right. I sometimes say "kyoo-tee", then correct myself to "cute". My favorite is PostgreSQL - "post-gres-kyoo-ell" :)

So.... is it "officially" kyoo-tee or "cute"?

I always though "sequel" sounded wrong!

I love saying postresql too :-)

Kah-tree-nah

CuCullin
24th January 2006, 17:35
So.... is it "officially" kyoo-tee or "cute"?

I always though "sequel" sounded wrong!

I love saying postresql too :-)

Kah-tree-nah

Well... TT insiders call it "cute". The original name, I believe has been mentioned here, was created because the letter Q looked cool in emacs on slack (.9x or some such). The 't', iirc, originally was a result of Tk, and noone was using a Q as a toolkit name, so the combo was born.

I don't believe there is any "official" pronunciation though :)

Chicken Blood Machine
24th January 2006, 17:56
People tend to pronounce "SQL" wrongly as "sequel", because in ancient times there was another language, a SQL precursor, called Structured English Query Language --- SEQUEL in short. One of the sources of this error is M$. I heard its employees talking about "sequel server". How one could trust such "experts" if they don't know what they are talking about? ;)

Haha. Yes, they must be real MORONS using such a colloqialism! Trust me, many DB experts, MS and otherwise use the pronunciation 'sequel'. It's just quicker and more natural to say. And everyone knows what you mean, historically correct or not.

wysota
24th January 2006, 21:03
And everyone knows what you mean, historically correct or not.

To be honest, I wouldn't know :confused:

Chicken Blood Machine
24th January 2006, 22:23
Well maybe it's more common amongst native English speakers.