PDA

View Full Version : Sound on KDE 3.5

jaynewpeng
5th January 2006, 22:29
Hi Everyone

Starting with KDE April 2005. I'm wondering if SuSE10.0 operates best with which soundengine .
I use amaroK with xine engine , have aRts and ALSA installed. Realplayer , MPlayer , GXine and Kaffeine.
How to prioritize/standardize these applications and which performance to aim for in KDE 3.5

Best wishes for 2006

Jay

wysota
6th January 2006, 02:50
Generally Linux drifts in the direction of ALSA (as this is the default sound engine for 2.6). Arts is (AFAIK) built on top of the system driver (so uses ALSA or OSS or maybe other to play sound) and it is considered a standard with KDE, and I belive it is hard to use sound in KDE without it (I mean KDE not KDE-based apps like kaffeine), so it is quite a different story.

jaynewpeng
7th January 2006, 20:05
MRU

Too much variables and too little time. It's all so new. Thanks for putting me a step closer.

Jay

GreyGeek
11th January 2006, 23:40
Adding to what wysota said:

I am running KDE 3.5 on my SimplyMEPIS 3.4.2rc1 via a synaptic update from the KDE 3.50 repositories. It made a significant difference in the speed, functionality and beauty of KDE compared to KDE 3.4.

The first thing I noticed was that KMix has some extra buttons make sound connections with. Prior to 3.5 I got sound out of my Gateway m675prr laptop by pluggin my earphones into my micophone jack! :eek: (I'm not kidding!) I could never get sound out of my front two stereo speakers. With the KMix in 3.5 I now plug my earphones into the earphone jack and beautiful, glorius stereo sound comes out of my front speakers!

KDE is an awesome desktop. I saw a preview of VISTA a couple days ago. My first impression was that visually VISTA is a KDE 3.5 wannabe.

katrina
15th January 2006, 01:35
Adding to what wysota said:
Prior to 3.5 I got sound out of my Gateway m675prr laptop by pluggin my earphones into my micophone jack! :eek: (I'm not kidding!)

LOL I thought that was just MY computer!

Katrina

KjellKod
1st February 2006, 13:55
The Sound Server krasches on my at least once per day (Mandriva 2006/ KDE 3.4.2). I noticed the same on Mandriva2005 (KDE version?). Anyone w/ the same problem?
--- Hrrm. I guess I don't qualify for making this post on this thread since My KDE < KDE 3.5

GreyGeek
2nd February 2006, 14:06
The Sound Server krasches on my at least once per day (Mandriva 2006/ KDE 3.4.2). I noticed the same on Mandriva2005 (KDE version?). Anyone w/ the same problem?
--- Hrrm. I guess I don't qualify for making this post on this thread since My KDE < KDE 3.5
Drop to a root console and run "alsaconfig". See if that makes a difference.

Gee... I'm running KDE 3.2.1 on this SUSE 9 Enterprise Server and I don't have any trouble "qualifying" for posting to this thread.;)