PDA

View Full Version : Mac and Qt = pain

ComaWhite
9th December 2009, 05:45
Well I finally decided to get Mac on my PC again. But noticed that it's a pain in the arse. As I need KDE-4.3.4 on here with Qt-4.6.0. Apparently MacPorts is the only one that has it but it's not yet stable and what not. If I use the 4.5.3 it wouldn't be a problem. But as my application requires 4.6.0 I'm kinda screwed as I wanted to test my application in Mac. :(

axeljaeger
9th December 2009, 08:09
What is wrong with using a proper native Qt package for Mac? Nokia Qt Software offers a nice all-in-one installer.

ComaWhite
9th December 2009, 10:28
I agree there. Just the problem is. There is no way. At least I don't know of as I'm still new to Mac. No way of letting macports know I already have it currently installed without it trying to install it's own.

Edit: Since macports is similar to portage from Gentoo. I just created my own port directory and just modified the Portfile to update it to 4.6.0 myself. So going to see if that helps.

axeljaeger
9th December 2009, 10:31
Dont bother with macports if you just want to do Qt development. And dont blame the mac for not working macports.

ComaWhite
9th December 2009, 10:34
well I need to do KDE4 development also ;). Naw I have nothing against Mac itself as I'm quite loving it ;P

axeljaeger
9th December 2009, 11:07
You can get KDE4 also working without macports.

wysota
9th December 2009, 11:08
So the equation "Mac and Qt = pain" is wrong. Should be "Macports and Qt = pain" or even "Macport = pain".

ComaWhite
9th December 2009, 12:14
Yeah my bad. I guess it is quite ambiguous :P

Yeah I can but if I want 4.1.2. That's the latest binaries on http://mac.kde.org/ says. Unless there is another place that has it.