PDA

View Full Version : Qt Creator: File Makefile doesn't exist

earthling
11th December 2009, 17:48
[I had this in the wrong section earlier, sorry for the duplication]

Hello,

it appears the Qt Creator (1.3, on WIndows Vista) does not know about the
qmake variable QMAKE_MAKEFILE or MAKEFILE.

Consequently, when I try to build something with, for example,

QMAKE_MAKEIFLE = Make.foo

the build fails, with the predictable message

File Makefile doesn't exist
Exited with code 128

I know this can be addressed by adding an option "-f Make.foo" in the Build Steps config. But would it not be better if Creator knew something about the qmake variables? The way it is now, the makefile name has to be set in two places.

Separately, a Creator Build->Clean All does not back up the build process all the way. In particular it doesn't remove the qmake output. Neither does Build->Clean Project.

It seems that qmake is sort of half way integrated with Creator. Should it be treated as a foreign tool, or fully integrated?

squidge
11th December 2009, 19:41
Considering QtCreator runs qmake as an external tool, passing it your .pro file, I would say it should be regarded as a foreign tool, the same as 'make'. If you really want your makefile to be named differently, you need to tell QtCreator to add the name of your new makefile to the make tool.

Secondly, "Clean all" and friends simply runs "make clean", so its upto the makefile to delete the files, not Creator.

earthling
11th December 2009, 22:00
Deleting things with the makefile doesn't work if the makefile is generated by qmake.

If qmake supported making more than one target, things would be easier.

ayswarya
24th November 2014, 07:47
Hi
i didnt undestand this.anyone please explain...
when i try to build a project in qt creator..it showing error like
10:46:13: Running steps for project MagRead...
10:46:13: Starting: "C:\Qt\Tools\QtCreator\bin\jom.exe" all
Error: File Makefile doesn't exist.
10:46:13: The process "C:\Qt\Tools\QtCreator\bin\jom.exe" exited with code 2.
Error while building/deploying project MagRead (kit: Desktop Qt 5.3 MSVC2012 OpenGL 32bit)
When executing step "Make"
10:46:13: Elapsed time: 00:00.

I cant understand..what is this makefile??

anda_skoa
24th November 2014, 08:38
The Makefile is a generated input file for the "make" build system that contains the instructions on how to build the project.

The qmake tool generates that from the .pro file.
Re-run qmake (from the Build menu) and check if it reports an errors.

Cheers,
_

ayswarya
24th November 2014, 10:31
Thank you...:)

JosielSoares
4th November 2016, 03:44
I have a new question:
Although clicking build run qmake still remains the error message no longer performs.
: -1: Warning: Unable to generate output for: (directory) /Makefile.Release [TEMPLATE app]