PDA

View Full Version : Qt and Serbian Latin alphabet

frenk_castle
13th December 2009, 22:41
I am developing an application for my company. It will run under Windows XP with keyboards set to Serbian Latin. Application will in some cases require user to type some text input. A persons name, address that sort of stuff. Now if I use QLineEdit class to take text input from user, QString to store it will I have problems to store that data in QString to store it in the file, and restore it later from file and put it on screen or print it.

I will not do processing of that text data. Just take it, put it in QString, print it, save it to file or read it from file. I have no idea how to google this I tried but found nothing that helps me. I am not very familiar with UTF-8 UTF-16 and what else standards. I just need to know will text that contains Serbian "special" characters be corrupted or will it remain the same. If it matters plan is to save finished documents in xml format.

I have only one Linux computer at my disposal right now, my home computer, so I can't make real test so to speak and even if I halt everything and make some kind of test on some Windows computer I am not sure I will make a good test. I might get the wrong result.

The question is probably stupid but it will be a problem for me if my text input gets corrupted.

Thanks in advance.

Lykurg
13th December 2009, 22:55
The question is probably stupid but it will be a problem for me if my text input gets corrupted.
Well, just try it on your side and you will see if it will work. In normal case there is no problem since Qt handles all internally with utf8.

frenk_castle
13th December 2009, 23:22
Thanks. It will probably work fine but I will see to get my one of my two other computers up and running, a bought some new hardware and they are in pieces, install Windows compile some test code there and try this just in case. Just another in long line of delays. 80% of time so far I spent on some stupid things and 20% on actually writing useful code. I hate being new with some tool your productivity is lousy.

frenk_castle
15th December 2009, 22:34
After two wasted days, I manage to find time between work and private stuff to assemble one of my other computers install Windows 7 and Qt on it. The test was success. Serbian latin seems to work just fine. Only thing I found is if you edit the files from notepad and then let the application load it the text is all weird. But if you leave it alone and edit the file only from application every thing work and that is ok for what I need to do.