PDA

View Full Version : Basic Advice

Ferric
17th December 2009, 23:01
Hi,

I am a newbie to Qt but have a small amount of C++ experience.

I have a project to complete and would like some advice about where to start.

The project requires a program with a UI which allows the user to select certain configurations, these configurations then need to be sent via a RS232 cable to a micro-controller.

I would like to use Qt as this means different platforms can be used in the future to configure the hardware (microcontroller).

Is it best to use "Qt Creator" to design my program - what are my other options?

Any advice on where I could begin learning more would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ferric

calhal
18th December 2009, 08:52
The project requires a program with a UI which allows the user to select certain configurations, these configurations then need to be sent via a RS232 cable to a micro-controller.

I would like to use Qt as this means different platforms can be used in the future to configure the hardware (microcontroller).

Qt does not have any classes to use serial port. So you could take a look at QextSerialPort library - you get portable serial support with this.

There's also an alternative library (the author reads this forum). I don't remember the name of this library.

About the GUI, I don't know what do you mean by certain configurations.
You could take a look at QLineEdit, QCheckBox, QComboBox and other standard widgets.

You can also checkout QSettings for easy saving/restoring settings.

Is it best to use "Qt Creator" to design my program - what are my other options?
QtCreator is very convenient, but of course you can always use your favorite editor if you want.

Any advice on where I could begin learning more would be appreciate.
As usual, checkout QtAssistant and demo examples (you have them with Qt package). Qt is really well documented, it's a shame people don't have the habit of using Assistant.