PDA

View Full Version : Phonon playback delay

jflatt
30th December 2009, 16:08
I have a project using Phonon for audio playback using the MediaObject. When a new file begins to play, there is a large delay, sometimes minutes long. The system doesn't appear overly taxed. The state variable changes to Phonon::PlayingState, so I believe the issue might lie in gstreamer. This is on a Gentoo system, and I believe I installed some updates to gstreamer a while ago that may have caused this. I have completely rebuilt the system but the problem persists. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a way to get debug info from gstreamer?

jflatt
2nd February 2010, 19:56
One other thing I've noticed is that the delay seems to double every time. After second file is played, the delay is 2 seconds, next one is 4 seconds, etc. I'm not quite sure what strace is showing, but I do see a lot of clock_gettime( CLOCK_MONOTONIC, ... ) during the delays.

jflatt
5th February 2010, 05:58
I've got this worked out! It was gstreamer. I was able to compile the VLC phonon plugin and override the gstreamer one. I was a little unsure this would work, as I thought the VLC phonon might be for KDE only. Turns out it runs great!