PDA

View Full Version : WinMain@16 compiler error in Qt examples

Tvt204
31st December 2009, 03:10
Hi,

I've got an interesting error in qt when running the examples from the welcome screen of qt 1.3.0.

I've tried several of the examples, including 2dpainting under the OpenGl category. Each example gives me 2 errors and about 200 warnings. The errors are:

1. undefined reference to 'WinMain@16" c:\nokia\qt\2009.05_new\mingw\bin\...\lib\gcc\ming w32\4.4.0\..\..\..\libmingw32.a(main.o):main.c:

2. collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

and the warnings are all "undefined reference to '_imp___Z.....'"

I'm running qt creator 1.3 and qt 4.6.0. Oddly enough the MyFirstApp program I've written myself compiles and runs fine. I'm compiling in qt using the default configuration (my OS is WinXP.)

So, how can I compile/run the examples in qt?
Thanks.

schnitzel
21st January 2010, 20:59
That's indeed strange, Qt sdk usually installs/runs out of the box.
check if the project settings are detecting the correct Qt version under Projects-Build Settings-Qt Version.
Compare the settings between your program and the example.

Tvt204
22nd January 2010, 15:31
Thanks for your suggestion.

I've posted the Projects->Build Settings for the stickman example program (chosen at random):

General
using Qt version: Default Qt Version (4.6.0)
with tool chain MinGW
building in C:\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\examples\animation\stic kman
Build Steps
QMake: qmake.exe stickman.pro -spec win32-g++ -r
Make: mingw32-make.exe -w in C:\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\examples\animation\stic kman
Clean Steps
Make: mingw32-make.exe clean -w in C:\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\examples\animation\stic kman
Build Environment
Summary: No changes to Environment

And for the program I've written:

General
using Qt version: Default Qt Version (4.6.0)
with tool chain MinGW
building in C:\Programming\Nokia\Paint\PainT
Build Steps
QMake: qmake.exe PainT.pro -spec win32-g++ -r
Make: mingw32-make.exe -w in C:\Programming\Nokia\Paint\PainT
Clean Steps
Make: mingw32-make.exe clean -w in C:\Programming\Nokia\Paint\PainT
Build Environment
Summary: No changes to Environment

I haven't touched any of these settings.

schnitzel
22nd January 2010, 17:08
have you tried building from the Qt command prompt?
Show compile output (inside Qt Creator) from both of these projects just after a Clean-all.

I noticed the folder name 2009.05_new - is that the standard location?
I am not suggesting this is happening to you, but I once had some weirdness due to having multiple MS compilers (VC++ express 2008, VB express and an old visual studio etc) installed. Only after removing all these and the platform sdk I was able to get it working again.

[ducks] or you could try to reinstall Qt

Tvt204
25th January 2010, 19:42
Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm not sure what you mean by building from the Qt command prompt (which means the answer is probably no), but I did a clean all on both projects.

The compile output for PaintT is:

Running build steps for project PainT...
Configuration unchanged, skipping QMake step.
Starting: C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe -w
mingw32-make: Entering directory `C:/Programming/Nokia/Paint/PainT'
C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/mingw/bin/mingw32-make -f Makefile.Debug
mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Programming/Nokia/Paint/PainT'
c:\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\bin\uic.exe paint.ui -o ui_paint.h
g++ -c -g -frtti -fexceptions -mthreads -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\Active Qt" -I"debug" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++" -o debug\main.o main.cpp
g++ -c -g -frtti -fexceptions -mthreads -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\Active Qt" -I"debug" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++" -o debug\paint.o paint.cpp
C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/qt/bin\moc.exe -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\Active Qt" -I"debug" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++" -D__GNUC__ -DWIN32 paint.h -o debug\moc_paint.cpp
g++ -c -g -frtti -fexceptions -mthreads -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\include\Active Qt" -I"debug" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++" -o debug\moc_paint.o debug\moc_paint.cpp
g++ -enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc -mthreads -Wl -Wl,-subsystem,windows -o debug\PainT.exe debug/main.o debug/paint.o debug/moc_paint.o -L"c:\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\lib" -lmingw32 -lqtmaind -lQtGuid4 -lQtCored4
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Programming/Nokia/Paint/PainT'
mingw32-make: Leaving directory `C:/Programming/Nokia/Paint/PainT'
Exited with code 0.

The clean all output for stickman is:

Running build steps for project stickman...
Starting: C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe clean -w
mingw32-make: Entering directory `C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/qt/examples/animation/stickman'
C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/mingw/bin/mingw32-make -f Makefile.Debug clean
mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/qt/examples/animation/stickman'
del tmp\moc\debug_shared\moc_stickman.cpp tmp\moc\debug_shared\moc_node.cpp tmp\moc\debug_shared\moc_graphicsview.cpp
del tmp\rcc\debug_shared\qrc_stickman.cpp
del tmp\obj\debug_shared\main.o tmp\obj\debug_shared\stickman.o tmp\obj\debug_shared\animation.o tmp\obj\debug_shared\node.o tmp\obj\debug_shared\lifecycle.o tmp\obj\debug_shared\graphicsview.o tmp\obj\debug_shared\moc_stickman.o tmp\obj\debug_shared\moc_node.o tmp\obj\debug_shared\moc_graphicsview.o tmp\obj\debug_shared\qrc_stickman.o
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/qt/examples/animation/stickman'
C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/mingw/bin/mingw32-make -f Makefile.Release clean
mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/qt/examples/animation/stickman'
del tmp\moc\release_shared\moc_stickman.cpp tmp\moc\release_shared\moc_node.cpp tmp\moc\release_shared\moc_graphicsview.cpp
del tmp\rcc\release_shared\qrc_stickman.cpp
del tmp\obj\release_shared\main.o tmp\obj\release_shared\stickman.o tmp\obj\release_shared\animation.o tmp\obj\release_shared\node.o tmp\obj\release_shared\lifecycle.o tmp\obj\release_shared\graphicsview.o tmp\obj\release_shared\moc_stickman.o tmp\obj\release_shared\moc_node.o tmp\obj\release_shared\moc_graphicsview.o tmp\obj\release_shared\qrc_stickman.o
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/qt/examples/animation/stickman'
mingw32-make: Leaving directory `C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/qt/examples/animation/stickman'
Could Not Find C:\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\examples\animation\stic kman\tmp\moc\release_shared\moc_stickman.cpp
Could Not Find C:\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\examples\animation\stic kman\tmp\rcc\release_shared\qrc_stickman.cpp
Could Not Find C:\Nokia\Qt\2009.05_new\qt\examples\animation\stic kman\tmp\obj\release_shared\main.o
Exited with code 0.

The compiler output (all 602 lines of it) for stickman is attached.

The folder name 2009.05_new is because this is my second try at installing qt. (I uninstalled the first but the folder wouldn't delete and qt won't install in an existing directory - the original folder is gone now.) The re-install didn't allow me to compile the examples.

As for the MS compilers, I do have VS 2003, 2005, and 2008 compilers installed. I hesitate to uninstall these as I'm not sure Microsoft allows re-installs of VB 2005 Express now that you can't get it anymore.

schnitzel
25th January 2010, 20:19
weird
exit qt creator and try the following:
remove debug/release folders
remove the makefiles
remove any object_script files
remove xxx.pro.user file
try building again
If that doesn't work can you reproduce in a minimal project and attach it?

To the gurus: does anybody know how to show the environment info that gets shown when you do a configure? That's how I tracked down my messed up environment when I had all those compilers/SDKs installed.

Tvt204
26th January 2010, 02:38
No go.

What I've done is taken the stickman example program and removed pretty much all the code. What's left is the stickman.h file and main.cpp.

I removed the files you suggested from this stripped down version, then "built" the code just to confirm errors were still present. This is what is attached.

Thanks.

schnitzel
26th January 2010, 03:54
I think you snipped too much :)
I took the stickman example from my Qt installation and it built fine. However, I noticed that weird tmp folder. It has some trouble finding that judging from your compile output.
Try getting rid of that folder so you are only left with the following files:
animations folder
animations cpp/h
graphicsview cpp/h
lifecycle cpp/h
main.cpp
node.cpp/h
stickman cpp/h
stickman.pro
stickman.qrc

I have attached a zip file just in case.
try to open that in qt creator and give it a shot.

Albarian
26th January 2010, 14:34
Same problem here but with a new QT Creator 1.3.1 installation on Windows XP SP3.
I've downloaded stickman.zip file supplied and I'm getting same error again.
I can't run any demo or empty application.

c:/qt/2010.01/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../libmingw32.a(main.o):main.c::-1: error: undefined reference to `WinMain@16'
:-1: error: collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Tvt204
26th January 2010, 18:30
Get this: The file you attached WORKS for me, provided I don't put it into the same folder as the stickman example.

My example files are under C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/qt/examples/animation/stickman_ex/stickman.pro , etc
Anything I create goes under C:/Programming/Nokia/stickman_ex , etc
Now, why does this identical folder work when I put it in any directory other than the default directory?

So, what I've done is moved my entire examples directory to C:/Nokia/Qt and now all of the examples I've tested compile.
Albarian, I'm running Win XP SP3 as well. Does moving the examples directory help you?

schnitzel
26th January 2010, 18:54
Get this: The file you attached WORKS for me, provided I don't put it into the same folder as the stickman example.

My example files are under C:/Nokia/Qt/2009.05_new/qt/examples/animation/stickman_ex/stickman.pro , etc
Anything I create goes under C:/Programming/Nokia/stickman_ex , etc
Now, why does this identical folder work when I put it in any directory other than the default directory?

So, what I've done is moved my entire examples directory to C:/Nokia/Qt and now all of the examples I've tested compile.
Albarian, I'm running Win XP SP3 as well. Does moving the examples directory help you?

I'm glad it worked for you, although I'm not sure why. When you copied the files/folder from my archive into the original example's folder, did you completely delete all contents *before* copying the new stuff into it?

Tvt204
26th January 2010, 19:30
Actually, I not only deleted the folder's contents, but I also deleted the folder. Then recreated the folder and copied the files from your archive into it. Must just be something weird with winXP. Thanks for your help.