PDA

View Full Version : Is Qt LGPL the right frame work for my needs ?

shaw22
31st December 2009, 15:34
Greetings:

I want to write a browser application that will run on an iphone [local intranet wireless]. I want to deploy the application from a single cd - that will have the linux distribution as well as the application all packaged together. The user has to find a pentium 4 pc, stick the cd in and install the application. Then the iphones can connect to it through local wireless.

The reason, I am looking into Qt is that, since it is a compiled environment, I do not have to expose my code or make it easy for a hacker to copy my code.

I want to do it under LGPL. I am not planning to change the QT framework code. If I do, i will share it with the public.

What resources are available under QT for Iphone browser programming.

If QT is not optimal for doing what I need (explained above), do you know of another frame work?

Thanks

wysota
31st December 2009, 15:46
You want to deploy the application on an iPhone or you want an iPhone to connect to your application using a web browser?

squidge
31st December 2009, 16:38
I don't understand what you want.

You want to write a browser application that will run on an iphone? In which case, what kind of browser? Web? File? Music? Etc.
Or you want to write an application for a PC which the iPhone will connect to with its internal web browser?

You want a single CD that contains both the iPhone and PC application? You say the CD will install the application, but also comes with Linux, so why does it need installing? Or do you plan on installing linux to?

shaw22
31st December 2009, 18:31
wysota,
I want Iphone browser to connect to the application.

fatjuicymole,
I was going to do the app in LAMP (Linux, Apache, Mysql, Php) - however, there is no protection for my code, since the server is going to be local at the client site (and not in the cloud)
I could do sourceguardian or ioncube - however, php scrambling can be broken. That is the reason why I am looking at Qt. If i can write the app use Qt framework and then bundle the compiled executable along with the installation cd for LAMP, then the process will be neat and secure.

Thanks!

squidge
31st December 2009, 19:45
So in effect, you want your application to run as a CGI from Apache, interfacing with Mysql? Qt can do that.

shaw22
31st December 2009, 20:02
fatjuicymole,

Can you pls confirm:

1. my source code don't need to be on the server - a compiled executable generated by qt is what will be on the server.

2. The qt application can also be packaged into the same lamp cd that i create. In otherwords, users do not need to do anything other than sticking the cd into a baremetal pc and doing the install

Ofcourse, the wireless configuration and application setup etc, will be done through the interface provided by the aplication

Thanks!

squidge
1st January 2010, 01:43
1) Theres no need for your source code to be anywhere but your own development pc.

2) You can put the Qt app wherever you like, as long as you copy the necessary library files with it (or install the Qt package, or using a Linux dist which includes Qt, whichever is easier for you).

shaw22
1st January 2010, 14:03
fatjuicymole,
Thanks for your help.
As for licensing my understanding is LGPL - will allow me to use and distribute Qt in my commercial application. The only requirement being, I should share the code, if I make any changes to the Qt framework. I do not need to make my application source code available to the community. Am i correct?

Also, which forum should i check out to see the techniques used in enforcing licensing in the application developed using qt framework.

squidge
1st January 2010, 15:16
Yes, as long you use the Qt libraries dynamically and have made no modifications to them, your OK. If you make changes, then those changes need to be open source, and if you link statically, the entire app that was statically linked needs to be open source.

So if you stick with a version of Qt Creator you can download from Nokia's website, your generally safe, as these versions can't create statically linked applications unless you recompile them, and come with standard libraries.

shaw22
1st January 2010, 16:27
Thanks Mate, You are a great help!!!