PDA

View Full Version : Client-application intallation without postgres intall

doijunior
11th January 2010, 18:39
Hello I am newbie and would like to know if my application was developed using a Postgres DB. After finished the development can I generate an install .exe of my application without having to install the postgres in the client computer before?

OBS: I am developing in windows 32 bits plataform

wysota
11th January 2010, 23:11
You don't have to install PostgreSQL on the target machine but you need to deploy PostgreSQL client libraries there (on Unix this is called libpq.so, on Windows probably pq.dll).

doijunior
12th January 2010, 16:07
You don't have to install PostgreSQL on the target machine but you need to deploy PostgreSQL client libraries there (on Unix this is called libpq.so, on Windows probably pq.dll).

but this will work only for the functions usei inside the source font won't? I mean the tables and schemes won't come only with the .dll, I think

wysota
12th January 2010, 16:40
No, the database will be accessed remotely. But functions to do it need to be available thus the library.

doijunior
13th January 2010, 17:39
No, the database will be accessed remotely. But functions to do it need to be available thus the library.

That is what I meant... sorry I didn't make it clear on the initial post. There is some way to do a local install of the database without installing the postgres?

wysota
13th January 2010, 18:00
But Postgres is the database... If you want to use it, you need a server running. You can use SQLite instead of PostgreSQL if you want as it doesn't require a server but it has less features.

doijunior
13th January 2010, 20:01
But Postgres is the database... If you want to use it, you need a server running. You can use SQLite instead of PostgreSQL if you want as it doesn't require a server but it has less features.
Oh this is what I was wondering about, I had already used SQLite with some desktop applications and Postgres only with web application, but for this project it was sugested to me use Postgres because of the features but I also need it the application running only local, so I will have to use the SQLite...

Thanks for the help

doijunior
19th January 2010, 12:25
I was also wondering anyone knows if there is a way to do an script that is executed during the install of my application that also installs the postgres server passing the parameters of user and password on windows plataform?

wysota
19th January 2010, 12:50
What do you mean by:
installs the postgres server passing the parameters of user and password on windows plataform?
Passing it where? For install scripts you can use the nullsoft installer (NSIS).