PDA

View Full Version : Questions about installing Qt 4.6 Embedded

cloaked_and_coastin
11th January 2010, 20:22
Fellow Programmers,

Greetings. I'm having some trouble understanding on how everything fits together when trying to compile and run Qt 4.6 software on an embedded device. Any help would be appreciated.

What I'm developing code on: an laptop running Windows XP which is running a virtual machine (Sun VirtualBox) which has Ubuntu 9.10 running "on top" of it. The code will be developed within the Ubuntu virtual machine.

What I want to run the developed application on: a Freescale board (ADS512101) with a PowerPC processor running Linux (Kernel 2.6.24.6).

I've been able to download the qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.6.0.tar file and do a test-run through the directions at:
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qt-embedded-install.html
with little to no problems. I have some quesstions though.

When it comes to building the libraries (step 3) and supplying arguments to the "./configure" script, do I supply a
-embedded x86 (for the laptop)
or a
-embedded generic (for the Freescale board with the PowerPC processor)?

Once again, thanks for any help.

wysota
11th January 2010, 23:43
When it comes to building the libraries (step 3) and supplying arguments to the "./configure" script, do I supply a
-embedded x86 (for the laptop)
or a
-embedded generic (for the Freescale board with the PowerPC processor)?

If you wish to build libraries for the destination device then the latter. If you want to test the application using a virtual frame buffer emulator (qvfb) on your laptop, then you can pass the former. You will probably want both - one for development, the other for deployment.