PDA

View Full Version : How to create professional looking installers

Tarun
15th January 2010, 06:34
Hi,

Is there any way to create installer for the application that I create using qt?
I think there must be a third party installer maker.

squidge
15th January 2010, 07:57
Well, that depends on the OS you are targetting...

high_flyer
15th January 2010, 09:25
For windows you can have a look at this one:
InstallJammer,

yogeshgokul
15th January 2010, 10:07
For windows you can have a look at this one:
InstallJammer,

Install Jammer is very good for X11 too. :)

axeljaeger
19th January 2010, 21:20
Please respect the plattform habbits: Installers are common on Windows. I suggest to use WIX for windows installer because the output is a proper msi-file installer. Other people, including Nokia Qt Development Frameworks use the Nullsoft Install System. On linux, you usually not have installers but packages for the package manager of the linux distribution. You do not make friends when you present a windows-style-installer on linux. You can offer one but you have to offer binary packages for linux distributions to not piss people off that like the linux package managers.

For the mac, there is an install builder by apple but usually you either put the .app in a compressed disk image file or zip the .app.

john_god
21st January 2010, 01:17
On linux, you usually not have installers but packages for the package manager of the linux distribution.

Do you know a easy way to do packages for linux ? I did some googling and it seems difficult, lots of scripts to write, lots os distros, dependencies, compatibility issues, ....

axeljaeger
21st January 2010, 09:07
It is not so straight forward, yes. I only did debian packages so far and there is a utility called "dh_make" that helps a bit creating the skeleton for debian-files. For RPM, there should be similar tools.