PDA

View Full Version : Programming in Windows

kroenecker
21st June 2006, 05:19
If I want to use a class that is a part of System.IO (specifically FileSystemWatcher), how do I compile such a program in QT?

I'm not experienced at all in compiling C++ programs under windows other than to use QT so I apologize for my ignorance.

ball
21st June 2006, 06:18
If you decide to use VC++.NET, why bother using Qt?

Qt already has everything you need to build world class application, please switch your work from VC++.NET to Qt, thanks.

wysota
21st June 2006, 09:25
Naaaa... it's not like that. You can use one product together with the other if you need it. Qt certainly doesn't have everything. AFAIK Qt works well with .NET although the class mentioned is probably available as a WinAPI call too. I don't see any sense in having dependencies to .NET if you only want to use a single call out of it. I suggest you try to do it with plain WinAPI.

kroenecker
21st June 2006, 21:28
If it is a winApi call, do you think you could point me towards a tutorial that will show me how to compile in that functionality? Or could you give me a brief example?

wysota
21st June 2006, 22:11
I can only point you to msdn.windows.com. IMHO WinAPI is the worst designed API ever, so I don't waste my time learning it and I don't know any tutorials on the problem. I suggest you search msdn for queries like "watching files", "file monitoring" or simmilar.

michael
22nd June 2006, 05:19
If I understand what you are looking for this should point you in the right direction. I don't think Qt has a class specifically to notify you upon a change in a file or directory. None that I could find anyway. This link is for WinAPI which would at least prevent you from having to use .NET for one call.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/fs/obtaining_directory_change_notifications.asp

michael
30th June 2006, 17:17
Well on a bright note Qt will include this functionality in Qt 4.2 when it is finished...

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/qfilesystemwatcher.html

Brandybuck
30th June 2006, 18:40
Qt already has everything you need to build world class application, please switch your work from VC++.NET to Qt, thanks.
Sometimes you don't have a choice. Sometimes management makes you use .NET; sometimes you have a "legacy" .NET app that needs a GUI front end; sometimes you need a portable GUI (and .NET ain't it despite Bill's claims to the contrary); and sometimes you just want to be productive and use .NET instead of MFC or Win32 for system level code, while being productive with Qt elsewhere.

kroenecker
4th July 2006, 19:44
Thanks for the commentary all :D I'm thrilled (being the geek that I am) to see that this functionality will be available with the next release!

kroenecker
4th July 2006, 19:49
Regarding use of windows at work. I do work in a company that heavily uses .NET. Actually it's all that they use so I'm a bit of a lone ranger when it comes to using QT at my workplace. They let me develop internal apps with it, however, so I'm quite happy. And I'm not opposed to using visual studio. I do, however, firmly believe that only using VS and other microsoft tools results in poor programming practices since you are never given the opportunity to exercise, well, any thought whatsoever.