PDA

View Full Version : QStatusBar showMessage() not hiding normal status bar contents

AlphaWolfXV
28th January 2010, 12:14
Hello all,
I have a simple application where I am trying to use a QMainWindow with a QStatusBar. There are QLabels set and they update perfectly. Now I added a status->showMessage("test", 5000); which should display the message "test" for 5 seconds over the whole status bar, i.e. hiding currently set text in the QLabels. For some reason my machine shows the message for 5 seconds but I can see the QLabel information at the same time.

Firstly has anyone experienced this before? and Second, is there a way to force a White background of the showMessage() instead of invisible? After reading the docs some more, it is acting line I have used the addPermanentWidget() instead of addWidget(), where the temporary message will not hide the existing data on the status bar.

Here is a sample code program that compiles and shows the issue, I will also try to compile on another machine to see if it is machine based. When the program is compiled and run, I see the status bar leftmost position says "position 0 status" and on top of that I can kind of read the showMessage() of "test" for the 10 seconds, then it disappears and looks normal. Any thoughts?

testStatusBar.pro:

HEADERS += mytest.h
SOURCES += mytest.cpp \
main.cpp

main.cpp

#include <QtGui/QApplication>
#include "mytest.h"
int main(int argc, char * argv[])
{
QApplication a(argc, argv);
mytest w;
w.show();
return a.exec();
}

mytest.cpp

#include "mytest.h"

mytest::mytest(QWidget *parent)
:QMainWindow(parent)
{
le1 = new QLineEdit(this);
le1->setText("Just a temp line edit for now...");
//set up status bar
stat0 = new QLabel("position 0 status");
stat1 = new QLabel(" (1) ");
stat2 = new QLabel(" (2) ");
status = new QStatusBar(this);
status->addWidget(stat0,1);
status->addWidget(stat1,0);
status->addWidget(stat2,0);
setCentralWidget(le1);
setStatusBar(status);
setMinimumSize(600,480);
status->showMessage("test",10000);
}

mytest.h

#ifndef MYTEST_H
#define MYTEST_H

#include <QMainWindow>
#include <QtGui>
#include <QDebug>
class mytest : public QMainWindow
{
Q_OBJECT
public:
mytest(QWidget *parent = 0);
private:
QLabel *stat0, *stat1, *stat2;
QLineEdit *le1;
QStatusBar *status;
};

#endif // MYTEST_H

Thanks,
AlphaWolfXV

PS: Using QTCreator 1.2.1 (QT 4.5.2) / Windows Vista
- Just tried on QTCreator 1.3.0 (QT 4.6.0) / Windows Vista

AlphaWolfXV
28th January 2010, 16:57
For the time being...
I was calling the showmessage() on creation of the main window. If it is moved to later, like on a button click or a signal, it works fine. If anyone has any ideas on why this is the case please advise, but for now it is working as expected as long as I wait for the mytest::mytest() to be created.

Thanks,
AlphaWolfXV

mattc
28th January 2010, 17:47
In a QMainWindow you don't need to explicitly create your custom status bar. Just use QMainWindow::statusBar() and let QMainWindow create it for you:

http://qt.nokia.com/doc/4.6/qmainwindow.html#statusBar

Maybe your status bar is somehow conflicting with the one created by QMainWindow.