PDA

View Full Version : From MAC OS X to Linux

DoNaLd
23rd June 2006, 11:00
Hi,

i've MacBook Pro with Intel platform and i will developing on MAC OS X system applications with Qt that are to be used for Linux platform. Is anybody familiar with this solution ?
I've also found the switch for Qt configure process with name -platform and -xplatform .. but i've not found howto or manual pages how to do it.

wysota
23rd June 2006, 19:23
How to do what? Qt applications are portable on the source code level. You can develop an application for Linux using MacOS and then you have to compile it on Linux to get a binary version (or cross compile for Linux on MacOS, but you need the whole cross-compiler architecture for that).

DoNaLd
27th June 2006, 09:50
I've the cross-compile tool from this howto http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/crosstool-howto.html .. but how can i using this cross tool ? It is useful compile now qt for X11 or i can use my current qt for Mac ?
Seriously, i don't know, how can i exactly start working with my cross tool.
Have you maybe some helpful howto's or url links ?

axeljaeger
27th June 2006, 09:57
We use a linux box here. We copy the source there and do a qmake && make on it. Because you have an intel mac, you might want to have a look at bootcamp or parallels workstiation. Both enable you to install linux beside macos. Parallels is nicer because linux can run in a window beside macos where you have to reboot when using bootcamp. The downside is that you have to buy parallels, it's a commercial product, but compareable cheap.

DoNaLd
27th June 2006, 10:12
Thank you for your answer.
Yes, this sollution is one from possibilities but degrade performance of CORE DUAL CPU on my MacBook. I've already Qemu with linux OS and this is not, what can man daily using. I search another solution.

Brandybuck
27th June 2006, 18:17
Yes, this sollution is one from possibilities but degrade performance of CORE DUAL CPU on my MacBook. I've already Qemu with linux OS and this is not, what can man daily using. I search another solution.
You can get a small, slow and cheap PC and put Linux on it. It doesn't even need a monitor (borrow one for the install). Then SSH into it, and do all your porting native on Linux.

DoNaLd
7th July 2006, 18:07
but if i'm on the way, traveling with 2 PC is not comfortably. ;)

aMan
7th July 2006, 19:46

i've read, that parallels is much faster than qemu..

regards, aman..