PDA

View Full Version : is the visual studio integration toolbox only available with commerical license

happyvalley
2nd February 2010, 16:24
installed LGPL qt framework for vs and vs integration,
did not see the qt widget toolbox and could not open / design UI within visual studio 08, is this feature only available for commerical license?
it is not mentioned .

Lesiok
2nd February 2010, 18:59
Support for this version of VS Integration is finished with v.4.4.3 of Qt.

squidge
2nd February 2010, 19:03
Yes, designer is only integrated into the VS integration tool for commercial users, but if you doube click a ui file it opens up in designer so no big deal.

Plus as Lesiok says, the commercial version is outdated now - it can't open the files created by QtDesigner anymore for example.

happyvalley
2nd February 2010, 19:29
thanks, guys

so, on windows platform, which is a better IDE, QTCreator or Eclipse CDT with QT integration?
Is QTCreator is stable enough for real development (seems pretty good.)
my understanding, Eclipse/CDT uses QTDesigner components and debug with gdb, no big reason to use Eclispe...

thanks

-David

squidge
2nd February 2010, 22:10
Depends on what your budget is for your 'real development'. If you can afford it, Visual Studio with a decent code completion tool to replace Intellisense, is top, else, QtCreator with Visual Studio as your debugger is a close second. QtCreator's debugger isn't bad, but VS Debugger is superior.

Whichever IDE you decide on, personally, I prefer to create my .ui files using the QtDesigner standalone app - it just seems more flexible than the one built into QtCreator. You loose some integration (eg. 'Goto slot'), but really, how difficult is it to type a method name yourself?

franz
3rd February 2010, 21:57
fatjuicymole is right. However, I'd go for Creator for editing and studio for debugging anytime (signal/slot completion), but that is just because I really don't like Visual Studio. It'd be about time somebody found out how to access the visual studio debugger instead of the cdb...

The better IDE is always the one that makes you most productive and makes you feel like it's actually helping you write your code.