PDA

View Full Version : 2 Quick Questions

bbad68
9th February 2010, 18:42
Hi,

Okay, first question:

When reading from a text file, is it possible to specifiy certain values that I want to be read without having to read all of the other values in front of it? For example, I have a text file whose values are arranged like a table (ie the first line displays column headers, the next lines contain data listed under their respictive column headers), and I only want to read a few scattered values from this table, NOT all of them. How can I do this?

Next question:

I've downloaded the 'QProperty Browser Framework' from Qt solutions, and I'm trying to create a property browser in a QDockWidget, but I can't seem to get it to fit properly inside of the dock widget. When I use the QDockWidget::setWidget() function on other widgets, the child widgets are resized accordingly,but it's not working with the property broswer. What can I do to fix this?

jano_alex_es
10th February 2010, 14:18
About the first question I don't think so. If it's a XML file you can use QDomDocument, but if you need to read from a text document you have to load it all.

oldjack
10th February 2010, 18:26
I think as long as the file is a plain text file and you open and read it with any standard I/O (especially buffered), you're going to wind up reading the whole table into the disk anyway, at least to the last value you're trying to retrieve. Perhaps converting it to a different format might make accessing specific values easier.