PDA

View Full Version : Personal Intro

prof.ebral
17th February 2010, 02:05
Hi. I thought I would introduce myself before I start asking questions.

My name is Tyler Starke, online I am known as adamx20, adam_x20, prof.ebral, sir.ebral, and other variations of the last two handles. After hearing the news about Moblin becoming MeeGo with Maemo, and MeeGo being built on Qt I decided to take a second look at PyQt.

I am actually disappointed that I had heard such bad press about PyQt (or Qt for that matter) when compared to wx.Python. After looking at PyQt for a second time I realized this is exactly what my user base needs so they can have the software they want.

The software I am developing is called Traipse. It is a fork from the original OpenRPG that contains a lot of stability fixes and new enhancements, making it a really strong version of Open RPG. Original OpenRPG has not seen development in a number of years now so the UI has become out dated. The UI is currently based on wx.Python which works pretty good for a GUI, but it does not contain the feature richness that users currently want.

So I am excited to to learn a new language, one that I think will benefit my entire community of users and even attract new users to the software. Qt looks really nice, and I think I will be able to create some really cool material with it .. as soon as I learn to walk around the code better.

Thanks for reading my intro!

If you would like to read the announcement to the community you can here: http://weblog.madmathlabs.com/?p=211

Lykurg
17th February 2010, 08:11
Welcome!
You probably know it, but there is also a Nokia supported Python binding called PySide (http://www.pyside.org/). Before switching to PyQt you might also have a look at that. Unfortunately I can't say any more since I don't use Python.

prof.ebral
17th February 2010, 11:50
Totally awesome!! I did not know if Nokia was supporting a Pythonic implementation of Qt. I am very excited to start looking at PySide. Development is still early, so making a switch to something that will probably be better supported early is going to be much better option for me.

Edit: Awww, major negative with what looks like a major bonus.
Negative: Windows support is not there yet.
Bonus: Looks like the modules in PySide are called the same way as in PyQt4. Which means I may not have lost much work at all. :confused: :cool: