PDA

View Full Version : Simply Client E-mail (POP3)

Altertwin
24th February 2010, 19:37
I'm beginning computer programmer. I want to make in Qt simple e-mail client, which receives e-mails but I don't know how do it. I don't know which classes and libraries to use and how to connect to a POP3-mailserver. I'm searching for examples of network apps but I didn't find anything. :( Can you suggest me an easy and good example?

squidge
24th February 2010, 22:27
QTcpSocket and RFC1939 come to mind.

An example QTcpSocket application would be examples/network/fortuneclient in your Qt dir.

RFC1939 can be found here: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1939.txt

Altertwin
25th February 2010, 11:54
I have had a look on Fortune Client but I still don't know how to use POP3 commands in C++/Qt using QtTcpSocket - am I so stupid or is there an easier way to get such a knowledge. To be honest, I want to write a simple p2m client so I think POP3 will be not enough (some of mailservers are using IMAP protocol). Does anybody know an example of p2m-like program written with Qt? Another question: can i use external libraries freely in Qt?

squidge
25th February 2010, 13:10
Have a look at both FortuneClient and FortuneServer. Use a QDataStream to write and read data to/from the TCP socket using Qts signals/slots mechanism.

For IMAP, have a look at RFC3501

Altertwin
25th February 2010, 13:27
Another question: can i use external libraries freely in Qt?
:)

BTW. Do you think making a p2m client using only Qt (+ plugins) is possible?

squidge
25th February 2010, 17:27
Sure.

[Random text so I'm actually allowed to post this message without the forum software complaining at me because it's too short otherwise]