PDA

View Full Version : Looking Native on Windows, saying similar to Microsoft Office

henry_shanghai
26th February 2010, 08:12
I am here asking for advice of using QT to develop a native GUI application on Windows Platform.

Currently our team is planning to re-write a new GUI application. We already re-wrote a new MAC GUI applicataion one year again, and now it's windows platform's turn. WPF and QT are two candidates. I used Qt3.1 five years ago and think it's amazing. One of our criteria is the new GUI application need look native on Windows. I am kind of outdated with Qt's recent progress. So here are some questions:

Does QT GUI looks native on Vista, Window 2008?

What's current support status for Window 7?

Best Regards,
Henry

henry_shanghai
26th February 2010, 08:16
Just add one more info: LGPL or commercial is not a problem. The question is how to convince myself, and the team, that we can develop a native UI on windows platform. I found MacMainWindow in example folders of installed folder, but and of course, there is no WinMainWindow.

aamer4yu
26th February 2010, 18:48
You could simply install Qt and check out the Qt Demos, whether they appear native or not !
That would be easiest and sustaining I believe :-)

henry_shanghai
1st March 2010, 06:25
Will soon do it this week. Wish me luck to get positive feedback.

ComaWhite
30th May 2010, 14:35
When I'm on Windows and I run Qt apps. I honestly noticed no difference between Qt apps and native win32 apps. Too bad I can't say the same about KDE4 apps on Windows.

The reason there is MacMainWindow is due to Mac's GUI being Cocoa which is only in Objective-C.