PDA

View Full Version : Removing dependencies for mingwm10.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll,static linking?

Awareness
1st April 2010, 16:15
How can I remove the dependencies for mingwm10.dll and ligcc_s_dw2-1.dll?Should I do static linking?Is it possible to do static linking with Qt Creator?

How can I do static linking?(step by step please)

squidge
1st April 2010, 22:36
Try adding the -static-libgcc linker option.

Awareness
6th April 2010, 20:23
How can I do this?I compile with Qt Creator and don't know how I can compile,link without using Qt Creator.

squidge
6th April 2010, 22:23
You can still use Qt Creator, just put the option in your .pro file like so:

win32 {
QMAKE_LFLAGS += -static-libgcc
}

Awareness
11th April 2010, 01:12
Thank you very much:)

metRo_
11th April 2010, 12:23
Can we do that with the LGPL license?

squidge
11th April 2010, 20:09
That would depend on the licenses of MinGW and libGCC, as they are not Qt related.

Awareness
12th April 2010, 23:41
I couldn't make it work.

My project's .pro file is:

QT -= core gui

TARGET = struct1

Win32 {
QMAKE_LFLAGS_RELEASE += -static-libgcc
}
CONFIG += console
CONFIG -= app_bundle

TEMPLATE = app

SOURCES += main.cpp

but it still requires mingwm10.dll.

winz
13th April 2010, 13:50
You need mingwm10.dll because of the thread module.

I didn't find how to remove the thread module from the pro file but if you manually remove every occurrence of "-mthreads" in makefiles, it won't complain anymore about mingwm10.dll .

The problem is that you can not use QThread object in this case.

Awareness
18th April 2010, 21:44
Thanks for your answer.Is it not possible to make this mingwm10.dll file staticaly linked?

Talei
18th April 2010, 22:46
Compile statical qt, first edit %qtdir%\mkspecs\win32-g++\qmake.conf and change

QMAKE_LFLAGS = -enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc
QMAKE_LFLAGS = -static -enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc
then recompile using

cd %qtdir%
configure -static -release -no-exceptions -[other parameters like -mmx -sse -sse2 -3dnow etc...]
make sub-src
important here is no-exceptions that tells to link mingwm10.dll. This command compile qt in release mode, add -debug if you want that to. Also properly set Path on windows env. That way everything works fine, assuming configure is success.
Your project is then LGPL, that means if some one who buy/download your app ask you for sorce code you need to provide it to them. I don't know if mingw allso gave you some restriction, from license point of view.

squidge
18th April 2010, 22:57
There doesn't seem to be a static version of MinGW. You can get around the problem with a bit of messing about, but by far the easist way is to change compilers. You can download the free edition of Microsoft's Visual C++ for example.

Talei
18th April 2010, 23:40
There doesn't seem to be a static version of MinGW. You can get around the problem with a bit of messing about, but by far the easist way is to change compilers. You can download the free edition of Microsoft's Visual C++ for example.

Can you elaborate more about your first sentence? Because AFAIK (I can be wrong so please correct me) dll, such as mingwm10.dll, are by default static, and configuring qt to static means that every lib, not only mingwm10.dll but also QtCore4.dlll for release and QtCored4.dl for debug are copied at linking time into exe. And AFAIK only advantage of using msvc compilers vs ming is that msvc don't copy at link time full content of each source file, so assuming that in some source file you have two functions, and Your app use only one function of them, ming "copy" these two function into your exe, and msvc only the one you are using (so ming produce relatievely larger exe then msvc in static). Comments about that are more then welcome.
EDIT. I compile to static using mingw32 right now so I will post if something, like threads or so, don't work.(but I highly doubt about that)
EDIT. Compiled with mingw32 to static, threads, jpeg, etc... all works without any additional dll. (tested only to see if something changed from 4.4 version, that's when I last used static compiling)

squidge
19th April 2010, 08:17
DLL stands for "Dynamic Linked Library" - you can ONLY dynamically link to it. It is not possible to statically link to a DLL. To statically link you need a '.a' file (for GCC) or a .lib file (for MSVC++). This is why you must reconfigure & rebuild Qt if you want to statically link, as those '.a' files do not exist (or exist, but are only stubs).

Last time I looked, there was only DLL file for MinGW.

Talei
19th April 2010, 10:28
I read this post twice and maybe it's due to my bad eng, but I can't figure out last two post. First You write that there is "no static version of mingw" (this sentence in particular is confusing to me) and suggest using msvc, and in last post You write that there was only dll for mingw. Wouldn't that imply contradiction? Also I compiled qt, before posting to make sure, and msvc08 create lib's so either way no mater what compiler you use lib will be created for you (no surprise there). By static lib. I mean peace of code that is itself a whole, and don't rely on other peace of code. And due to my bad eng, I wrote something in different meaning than I actually meant.
Do I correctly assume that you previous advice was due to "not force user" to reconfigure qt? If so, and that's only my opinion, wouldn't that be way more hassle then simply reconfigure the whole thing?

squidge
19th April 2010, 13:27
I read this post twice and maybe it's due to my bad eng, but I can't figure out last two post. First You write that there is "no static version of mingw" (this sentence in particular is confusing to me) and suggest using msvc, and in last post You write that there was only dll for mingw. Wouldn't that imply contradiction?
No, as DLL = dynamic. You can't statically link a DLL, it's not possible. You have to build the static library and link with that. Qt doesn't ship with a static version of MinGW as far as I'm aware, only a dynamic (DLL) version.

Talei
20th April 2010, 04:48
Hello,
After some sleep I understood what you wrote, sorry about that, I need to get ride of habit of posting after 12h of coding, can't think straight.
Yes You are right that mingw (actually mingwm10, and so on, dll's) probably can't be statical compiled (I don't count trick to load dll from resource, so only one exe is deployed). But, and that's why I misunderstood You in the first place, You really don't need i.e. mingwm10.dll for Release build (they are not linked at all).
In short this dll handle exceptions and clean up after threads, but AFAIK, reference: http://old.nabble.com/mingwm10.dll-ts8920679.html , using:

configure -static -release -no-exceptions prevent linker from linking it ( -no-exceptions ). Also, on posted thread, they are saying that mingwm10.dll clean up after threads, to prevent memory leak (24 * sizeof (void*) = 96byte, second post, and yes I know that thread was started in 2007 so probably information are outdated) for each catch in thread. So to summ it up, if no exceptions are used and no -mthreads is passed at compile time no need for mingwm10. (maybe I'm wrong?)
I wrote small test app, to see if something strange is going on with QThreads on static build, like mem leek and so on.
stat_test_dyn.exe (dynamic release build, require all dll like mingwm, QCore4 ...)

qmake.exe stat_test.pro -spec win32-g++ -r CONFIG+=release
mingw32-make.exe -w in \stat_test
objdump.exe -j .idata -p stat_test_dyn.exe | sed -ne '/mingwm10/,/^$/{p;}'
DLL Name: mingwm10.dll
vma: Hint/Ord Member-Name Bound-To

stat_test_static.exe (static release build, don't require all dll like mingwm, QCore4 ...)

qmake.exe stat_test.pro -spec win32-g++ -r CONFIG+=release
mingw32-make.exe -w in \stat_test
objdump.exe -j .idata -p stat_test_static.exe | sed -ne '/mingwm10/,/^$/{p;}'
no output
Program run 1000 times thread, one after another, and output values to progressbar (from 0 -> 100 ).
I run it ten times, so assuming mem leak of 96bytes on each thread * 1000 * 10 = 937KB mem leek.
statistics for stat_test_dyn.exe [DYNAMIC]
after 10 runs mem usage is higher by168KB.

statistics for stat_test_static.exe [STATIC]
after 10 runs mem usage is higher by120KB.
To sum it up 10000 thread's executed one after another. Test machine Windows XP SP3 32bit. Process Explorer v 11.33.
In attachment is src code if someone would want to test this by itself.
Of course there can be some error made by me, so you are welcome to point them out. 4535

Awareness
6th May 2010, 19:54
Thanks for your answers:)