PDA

View Full Version : Qt License

metRo_
8th April 2010, 12:17
Hi,
I read this http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2009/11/30/qt-making-the-right-licensing-decision/ but i'm still confused. If i creat an aplication using Qt with LGPL license can i sell it? I need to share the source code of my aplication to sell it? Can't i sell it?

What does mean "if dynamically linking to the Qt library"?

Thanks

wysota
8th April 2010, 14:09
You can sell it and you don't have to share the source code.

squidge
8th April 2010, 14:19
"dynamically linking" means depending on the Qt DLLs (If windows) or .so files (If Linux).

"statically linking" means Qt is part of your application as the extra files are not required, but this is not compatible with LGPL.

wysota
8th April 2010, 14:59
In other words if you don't know what dynamically linking is, it means you are dynamically linking Qt.

metRo_
9th April 2010, 16:25
thanks :) Now I just don't understand when I need a comercial license :s

squidge
9th April 2010, 17:37
You need a commercial license when: You wish to statically link and keep your source closed, or wish to make modifications to Qt which you wish to keep closed, or wish to obtain support from Nokia.

wysota
9th April 2010, 21:03
I think you can buy the latter as a separate service for LGPL as well.

Talei
11th April 2010, 13:42
Also one question that confuse me:
Can I statically link qt against my app and sell it? (common procedure on windows, only app no additional libs, if libs license allow that of course)
I read somewhere that I need to redistribute qt libs, so each "client" can simply use lib that suits them. (If I remember correctly LGPL don't allow me to modify any libs )

Lesiok
11th April 2010, 18:15
You can statically link Qt only with commercial license.

squidge
11th April 2010, 22:36
Yes, you can statically link against Qt and sell it (even without commercial license, Lesiok is incorrect there).

However, your application would then be under GPL license automatically, and so the people who bought your application could request (and you must make available) the source code of your application.

If you purchase a commercial license for Qt, you can use your own license.