PDA

View Full Version : Desktop using QT

QT-embedded
22nd April 2010, 10:25
Hi,

Is there any QT desktop environment available as open source?

I am working on AM3517 evm development kit and I want to creat a desktop for it. I can run the other qt examples as individual applications but now I want to make a desktop using QT.

regards,

wysota
22nd April 2010, 10:36
If your board is powerful enough, you should be able to run KDE's Plasma for netbooks.

nish
22nd April 2010, 10:36
I think your are talking about the emulator/simulator stuff...
search for QVFB, that is qt virtual frame buffer

QT-embedded
22nd April 2010, 11:18
ok. thanks...

My question was about desktop environment such as KDE and others. But I am using QT application in Linux.

I don't know more about KDE Plasma so I will see it first but my concern is that I want to run this desktop on AM3517 EVM Board (also known as OMAP35x Platform) so will it work directly on this platform or do I need to install any extra patch with this to make it compatible with this platform?

regards,

wysota
22nd April 2010, 11:23
You will not know unless you try.

nish
22nd April 2010, 11:37
Dont go for any desktop, it is better to design your own homescreen, and pull together some applications. fast and cheap.

QT-embedded
23rd April 2010, 05:24
Hi,

thanks for your help.

I am new with QT so not very familiar in developing applications using QT so don't know how to create own home screen and how to link other applications there. So far I have done small projects with examples. Also I have done small program of Mainwindow using GUI which can show menu options.

I will appreciate if you can share some tips or any link which can show how to develop homescreen and how we can link applications to the desktop?

regards,

nish
23rd April 2010, 06:20
home screen is nothing but a simple widget, which contains icons. On small screen, most ppl prefer a list of items in a grid or vertical.. you have to just make that widget, and lauch other applications via QProcess.

QT-embedded
23rd April 2010, 12:27
Hi,
Thanks. I got an idea about what you mean but I don't know how to do it!!

Actually, I have created a new project using QWidget with default selection of QT modules (QTCore and QTGui). Then I selected the grid layout first. Now I wanted to put icons in it so I put two push buttons. Is this correct? I could not find any option to link those push button to some application.

At present I don't know how can I put an Icons and How to link that icons to some application stored at some other location?

Do you know any example link? Or if possible can you tell me few steps to get going?

regards,

nish
26th April 2010, 13:47
judging by your post, it would be better if you try to learn some basic qt before making a full blown application.... ..