PDA

View Full Version : Auto update module

munna
18th July 2006, 18:54
Hi,

The product that I am working on needs an auto updater.

Case 1:

A notification that a newer version of the software is available and if the user approves, it should start downloading the new version (probably in the background), and then install it automatically.

Case 2:

The software should silently download the newer version in the background and then install it after notification.

I am not sure which version to make.

I want to make an auto update library using Qt which can be used by any product that is developed using Qt.

Now the problems:

I have never written a library(.dll,.so or watever). I don't have any idea how it is written, in what cases it is written etc. I am complete newbie to this stuff.

Can someone please help me out ? If someone can refer me some tutorial or some sample code, I would be greatful to them.

Thanks a lot.

wysota
18th July 2006, 19:07
If your library is to be linked at compile time, the only thing you need to do is to use a proper Qt target (TEMPLATE=lib CONFIG+=dll), define a set of functions/classes and use the import/export macro if on Windows (dllexport/dllimport -- search this forum or google for more info on that).

jacek
18th July 2006, 19:08
I am not sure which version to make.
IMO the best way is to leave it to the user. Let him choose how often your program should check for new versions (including "never" option) and add something like "automatically download new versions" check-box.

jwintz
26th September 2006, 15:52
I know such a library exist for Cocoa (I don't recall the name ...) Is anyone aware of a QT module, library or set of classes existing to do that ???