PDA

View Full Version : Anthias : An extended terminal

ePharaoh
19th July 2006, 12:45
Hi,

I am developing Anthias (http://anthias.sourceforge.net). As described in the website,

Anthias is (or rather will be) an extended terminal with support for features like
Command-line completion
Syntax highlighting of command line
Directory browsing (in the same spirit of Norton Commander, Krusader, etc)

Key design goals include

Support for all existing programs that use the ANSI terminal. Only the shell will need to be modified (if it wants to use Anthias features).
Keyboard navigability. Most operations should be accessible with simple keystrokes.
Support for SSH sessions
Support for multiple shells
NO KIO support. Support for only the vanilla filesystem.

The next feature I want to implement is syntax highlighting. Since I am not an expert in Qt, any help is welcome. If anybody would like to join in, let me know.

Note that, the program is still in mockup stage. And, it is based on Qt4/KDE4.

e8johan
21st August 2006, 13:49
Looks promissing. Will you be integrating support of kparts to show file contents or such?

ePharaoh
21st August 2006, 16:39
Looks promissing. Will you be integrating support of kparts to show file contents or such?

Hmm.. good idea, if implemented on a small scale. We could probably use some kind of preview feature. For example, typing

catx icon.png
could show a preview of the image in a little embedded window in the terminal.

Though, I woudn't favour a full-fledge embedded picture editor, for example. IMO, it would go against the simple terminal (console) paradigm.

mhoover
25th August 2006, 23:56
Sounds fun. Command-line completion is cool.

The background desktop transparency in the Apple Terminal would be a neat feature. The other day I was showing a friend an app from the command line, and he didn't even notice the app because he was so impressed with the semi-transparent command line.

jwintz
9th October 2006, 11:35
Will Anthias be crossplatform ? I mean only QT4 ?

Very good idea indeed.

kernel_panic
9th January 2008, 16:55
could you make the terminal widget accesible for developers?
i mean make a custom widget, so that other developers can integrate a terminal in their app.